SEVEN

CHAPTER SEVEN
—dumb fun house

🗡🗡🗡

  —JUDITH knew she had been in the Labyrinth alone for too long when the voice in her head started echoing off the walls around her.

  "I would kill for a plate of French fries right about now." There was no answer, obviously — well, apart from her stomach grumbling in agreement.

  Judith had snagged some breakfast burritos from the dining pavilion that morning; enough to last her the day, at least. But she had indulged herself after the fit with Phobos and Deimos. Cracking your hands open really did a number on your hunger.

  So, she was hungry, tired, and losing her mind. She needed to see the light of day, or the night sky — didn't matter which at that point. She needed air that hadn't been sitting dormant for thousands of years.

  Judith Sloane, daughter of Ares, rarely prayed for things because she knew she'd never get them. The gods were picky about what wishes they chose to grant, and Judith was not at the top of their list of 'Deserving Demigods.' But when her fingers caught on the Delta insignia brick, she knew someone had been listening to her inner desperations.

  Though she was grateful for the blessing, she couldn't help but hesitate. Leaving the Labyrinth wouldn't get her any closer to Nico. Then again, wandering aimlessly through the maze wasn't doing her any favors either. She could risk an hour of fresh air.

  Judith pressed the Delta and the roof slid open, revealing a set of stairs leading up into the sunlight — or setting sun, to be more specific. She was about to thank whatever being had allowed this short trip up to the surface when multiple children's screams set her on high alert. Her feet carried her up the steps with a racing heart, anticipating an attack on civilians.

  But daughter of Ares released her tight grip from her ax after seeing the amusement park she'd arrived in. It looked like a big state fair and she was picking up some southern accents as people footed around her. Not even a mile through the maze and she'd gone a few states south.

  The ADHD in Judith's system didn't allow her to focus on anything in particular. Her eyes skipped from the many different lights and rides to the man with balloons to the hundreds of people. Her heart skipped some beats. This was every kid's dream, but to her, she just felt sick.

  The Labyrinth's entrance was just behind a big rollercoaster called The Viper. She pocketed that information and wandered around aimlessly, figuring she'd pick up a hot dog ( or maybe she'd splurge and get funnel cake ). But her eyes zeroed in on a body a few rides down, stalking into one of those Fun Houses that was designed to make you look like an idiot as you tripped everywhere.

  "Oh, you've got to be kidding me," Judith muttered, hastily making her way to the building.

  "Five tickets, Missy." The older teenager held out his hand as she tried to pass him.

  Judith looked at him with beady eyes, hating the name Missy with a passion. "Let me inside."

  The guy was not fazed by her hidden threat. "No tickets, no fun house!" He mocked enthusiasm.

  Judith pursed her lips in annoyance and pretended to dejectedly walk away. She could hear the guy start to laugh and that's when she turned around, hurdled the small gate he guarded and ran inside without a second look back.

  "Hey, kid, get back here!" She heard him yell but she was already three turns deep into the mirror maze. There was a loud slam as the door behind her closed shut and a lock clicked into place.