Part I, Chapter 8

The first gathering of the Jackson Purchase Emergency Meeting started with tight lips and downcast stares at the table. Lieutenant Governor Reginald Philips had gone to some significant trouble to get the men and women together in the Calloway County courtroom. Reggie came to the conclusion that if the personnel responsible for conducting state duties and services were not gathered together and given direction and support, they would slowly melt away into the mass of people just trying to survive. Although he would have preferred it otherwise, he knew as the state's Lieutenant Governor he was the only person who could legitimately call them here.

There were fewer people than were invited, but more than he expected. General Clarence Anderson was present and his new Deputy Commander, retired Marine Major General Dale "Butch" Matthews. Butch had been enjoying retirement teaching classical history at Murray State University on N-Day. After Reggie convinced Anderson to come back on active duty, he in turn did the same with Butch.

Next to Butch sat Frank Simm, the District Commander of the Kentucky State Police, and to his left sat Janet Cline, the state-appointed FEMA Director for the Jackson Purchase. Doctor Thomas Stevens, the President of Murray State University, sat across the table from Janet, and to his left slumped John Downing, the Director of the Tennessee Valley Authority works in Kentucky. TVA responsibility included Kentucky Dam and the Land Between the Lakes Park. Counting himself, Reggie had seven people to help him. Not many, but he was thankful for them all.

Reginald cleared his throat. “I appreciate all of you coming here today and I know some of you had some trouble given the conditions of the roads and lack of gas.” He looked around and paused, “I feel like we should begin our session with a prayer for guidance, wisdom, and support.” Reggie expected some push-back, but everyone just nodded, with some even giving him encouraging smiles or nods.

Reggie began, “Lord, I thank you for sparing us the destruction that has been visited upon much of our country. We don’t know why it came or why we were not destroyed too, but we are grateful we have so much, while others have nothing. Lord, in these days ahead, please grant us Your understanding, wisdom, and strength to do what we can to retain decency, justice, and mercy in the world.” There was more Reggie wanted to say, but he was afraid he would lose control of his emotions before the meeting even got started. “Amen,” he said, and heard several others follow suit.

Reggie deliberately opened his folder and scanned the items on his agenda. “As you probably know, the County Executive Council has become the primary means of cooperative governmental decision-making in the Jackson Purchase. I can tell you those representatives are great people who are trying to do their best. The problem is they need a…” Reggie sought for the right word, “…framework, let us say, to operate. I believe that is where we come into the picture.”

Doctor Stevens spoke up. “You’re saying, as state officials, we’re separate from their county rivalries and interests, and thus possess a certain position of trust by default.”

“In a sense…yes,” replied Reggie. “I hope I’m not shocking anyone when I say that I think the federal government of the United States of America is not coming to our rescue.” Although Reggie knew this and felt everyone else in the room did also, the silence still made him feel depressed. Speaking these things aloud felt like crossing a point of no return.

He continued after a pause, “People here, given time, will transition to some alternate form of practical government. They all understand democracy and how a representative government works. Our job is to protect them until the day something greater comes into being, and that mainly means we keep doing what we’re all doing and keep fear away as much as possible. I know that’s hard, but history has shown how fear can destroy us all if it gets a foothold.”