Chapter 44

-------------------> SINCE OTIS SELWYN HAD BEEN WARNED of the consequences of the Ruler's Act and had still insisted on following through it and had lost, now, he was completely ignored and his very existence was being denied by the whole of the H...

-------------------> SINCE OTIS SELWYN HAD BEEN WARNED of the consequences of the Ruler's Act and had still insisted on following through it and had lost, now, he was completely ignored and his very existence was being denied by the whole of the House of Slytherin.

And considering Darla had refused to abandon her brother, she was also put into the same league as him.

Despite everything, Lyra could appreciate Darla's value for her family, considering the girl had sacrificed all the benefits of being in Slytherin for her brother.

This event also led to Dolores Umbridge's true colours being displayed, seeing as the toad-faced girl had been avoiding both Darla and Otis -her 'amazing cousins who she had loved so dearly a few days ago- like they were dragon pox.

Darla's betrayed, shattered expression was a pleasure for Lyra, as Dolores had clearly, unhesitatingly chosen her future over the bonds of family and loyalty.

Unfortunately for Dolores, family and loyalty were two things that purebloods valued the most, so her decision hadn't gained any favours with them, no matter how much the pink-obsessed woman chose to believe otherwise.

In other news, her darling godbrother James, tried out for the position of Chaser in the Gryffindor Quidditch team and managed to get in, prompting Lyra to give him a big congratulatory hug and with the permission of her father, buy him the newest broom on the market as a present, much to the second year's delight.

With respect to their own Quidditch team, there was only the need to replace the position of Keeper, having had reserves for all the others, and that position was filled in by Theodore's brother, Thomas, who demonstrated exquisite talent for the sport. In fact, he made Lucius smile so widely during the try-outs, that Lyra took that as a sign that the Quidditch Cup would yet again make its home in the House of Slytherin.

She only hoped that his confidence would finally allow him to let go of his silly superstitious pre-game rituals.

In Thomas Nott, Lyra saw a thirst for greatness and a potential that could grow into something beautiful if taken advantage of, a thought that she filled in the back of her mind to put to use in the future.

Regulus was slowly re-gaining the flame of confidence that had nearly been extinguished due to the efforts of Darla, thanks to the constant praises sung of him by Professor Horace Slughorn over his skills at potions and Amal Shafiq who gushed over his heroic defence over her during their confrontation with the older Slytherin girl. He had also become their recent history professor's favourite and had managed to break records with his history tests, a fact that according to her mother, had made her father quite teary-eyed as he proudly bragged about his son's achievements to anybody and everybody.

Sirius, James, Regulus, Peter and Remus had gained quite a reputation for their pranks and had been appropriately bestowed upon the title, 'Marauders' by an angry Professor McGonagall when they had caused her pie to explode on her face one weekend.