Chapter Twenty Three

"How do we wake him up?" I asked Theo impatiently.

Theo sat back in his leather seat, thinking hard. "I'm not sure if it will work out, but we need to try. We have to recreate the boating accident."

My eyes went wide. I was positive one of my eyeballs was going to pop out. "You're suggesting that we should create the entire scenario of the day that your parents died so he could get his memories back?

Theo nodded, even though he looked visibly shaken by his idea. "That's exactly what I'm saying."

"That's cruel!" I said. "His psychiatrists have specifically told me not to broach any topics about your parent's death with Castle, especially the boating accident. If we do something that triggered those awful memories, it could make matters worse!"

"You think I don't know that?" He asked, sounding pissed. "It's the only way, Millie. If we somehow don't get him to remember everything, we'll end up dead."

"But why would Hugh kill you? You're his grandson..."

"If Hugh won't, Devin will."

"He is your brother, Theo." I reminded him. "What's wrong with your family? Why is everyone so sick and twisted?!"

"Before Alzheimer's hit grandpa, he used to carry out these vile and atrocious rituals. Innocent people died. His father did it before him, and so on. Our father never agreed to this and wanted it stopped, but Devin was always keen on walking in grandpa's footsteps and he would go to any lengths to make sure the rituals take place. It was all fucked up."

"That still doesn't answer my question, Theo. why would Devin want his own brother dead?"

"Because Devin and Dayana are not related to me by blood!" He confessed and then his face turned ashen.

I guess he hadn't meant for that little information to slip.

He sighed, "Neither are they related to Castle."

My head started spinning. "What do you mean?"

Theo got up from his chair and walked the distance to his vintage dresser. I heard some shuffling. He threw some stuff on the floor and produced a thick black journal from one drawer. He picked it up and brought it to me.

The pages of the journal were yellowed, showing how old it was.

"It talks about the family tree along with certain facts, and deaths of the family members entered into it. Skip the start, and read only the dog-eared pages. There are entries written by my mother, and that's all you need to know."

I hugged the journal to myself. "Thanks, Theo!"

He nodded.

And then there was a knock on the door.

"Quick, hide the fucking journal!" Theo whispered.

I tossed it underneath his bed.

The door opened and Castle peeked inside. "I've been looking...all over the house for you. What were you doing here?" His eyes then went to his brother.

"Theo and I were just talking," I told him.

Castle nodded, "Let's go to bed, Millie."

"Good night, Theo!" I said as I got up from my seat.

"Good night, Millie."

I held eye contact with him, letting him know that I'll be here again for the journal. He gave me a slight nod, so I walked out of the room towards Castle.

"You've become...best friends with my brother," Castle noted, smiling as he closed the door of Theo's room behind us.

I smiled back. "Yeah, I guess so. It's nice to talk to him sometimes."

"You can talk to me too, Millie. I mean...if there's anything. I'm here for you."

"I know. Thanks for that." I said, pressing the hard muscles of his biceps.

We went back to our room, and he closed the door behind him. I brushed my hair and changed into a nightgown getting ready for bed when I felt Castle's powerful arms going around my waist. His head was bent to the nape of my neck and he began peppering soft kisses there.

I touched his face, feeling the stubble on his jaw that gave me butterflies in my stomach. When it was time for bed, he usually wanted to make love, which had become a norm. I guess I should be lucky that he found me attractive enough that he wouldn't be tempted to look at other women. I'd heard too many stories about wealthy men having an affair with other women while their wives played the perfect role at home, but with the way Castle stared at me, his eyes heavy with desire, I didn't think I would ever find myself in that situation.

I felt his hands grope my ass from behind, "I like this." He said in a silky deep voice. "Take off your clothes." His commands were a usual occurrence in the bedroom.

I laughed. "You have your priorities straight." I spun around in his arms, looking up at my towering, extremely gorgeous, and sweet husband. I had to constantly slap myself as a reminder that I was married to him and he wasn't a figment of my imagination.

Castle's golden-brown eyes watched me as I said, "You have to kiss me first."

He smiled, grasping my chin, and bringing me up to meet his mouth. I had to stand up on my heels to reach his towering height. I melted into his arms as he kissed me and then he helped me undress and took off his clothes, too.

It wasn't hard and fast, but slow and languid. I met his thrusts with the same enthusiasm, moaning and writhing under him, whispering his name.

After a while, we were both exhausted and lay in bed together. His muscled arm was draped over me; his thick hair flopped over his forehead, matted in perspiration. I kissed and licked his abs greedily. He kissed my forehead, giving me a satisfied smile.

"I love you, Castle," I said.

He kept playing with my hair and didn't say it back. I swallowed the disappointment.

A while later, when I heard the sounds of his snores, I sat up in bed and made sure he was in deep sleep before walking out of the room and shutting the door behind me.

I walked soundly at first and then picked up the pace. I went to Theo's room and knocked on it.

Theo opened the door, wearing only a pair of boxers, his hair in disarray, and his abs were on display. I couldn't help but notice how he looked like a teenage version of Castle.

"Took you long enough," He said sleepily, stifling a yawn, and then he shoved the journal into my hand. "Do not show this to anyone. After reading it, you need to return the journal back to me."

I nodded, "Got it."

I hid the journal in my robe and tiptoed back to my room.

I walked into the room and my breath hitched in my throat when I saw the silhouette of Castle, who was now seated upright in bed. I couldn't see the expressions on his face in the darkness, but knew he was watching me.

"Where did you go, Millie?" He asked me silently.

"I was just feeling a little sick, so took a walk outside in the hallways." The lie rolled from my tongue.

A few seconds passed before he raised his hand towards me. "Come back to me."

I walked back to him and slipped into bed before quickly retrieving the journal and hiding it near the dresser.

Castle snuggled to my body, "I don't like it when you leave my side." He whispered.

"I'm not going anywhere, baby. I'll always be here with you." I promised.

His hold tightened over my body. The grip was so firm and bruising that I had to ask him to loosen his fingers over me. It was like Castle was making sure I didn't leave the bed again.

I couldn't wait to wake up in the morning and read the journal.

I needed to be completely alone to do it. 

***

Please Like and Comment your thoughts on the chapter :)