Chapter 60

Hayden

Saying I was fucking livid would be the understatement of the century.

Because not only did Hass give me that ugly-ass bruise, even worse, he ruined my fucking plan.

I had it all laid out, every single step meticulously planned and set in motion, but of course it couldn't be that easy. Life needed to throw me the biggest fucking curveball in existence. Fuck, it pissed me off.

But as soon as Mila told me about her issues with security, I pushed all those poisonous feelings aside. There are more important matters going on right now. Matters I've been waiting on for so fucking long. I won't let this asshole get in the way of them.

"Why are we driving back to the stadium again?" Mila asks as she takes the last turn, a curious look gracing her precious face.

I wanted to blindfold her and do this properly, but I wasn't allowed to drive with a concussion, and Sam and Jas needed to prepare things before we got there. Honestly, it would be unreal if things had gone the way we planned them, because that's not how life with Mila Lyne works. It's a series of surprises, pleasant and goddamn stunning surprises, and I've learned to appreciate them. "Since when are you the curious one, love?" I ask with a smirk when she raises her eyebrow at me, absolutely unimpressed by my avoiding techniques.

"You must've rubbed off on me."

"Oh, I rubbed off on you, alright." I laugh, and she just fucking blushes again, sending all my blood down south in a second. I'll never understand why that has this kind of effect on me. It just does, and I fucking love it.

"You're insufferable," she mutters, her eyes glimmering with amusement when she parks the car in the lot and glances over at me. The worry in her eyes makes me feel bad; I should've seen a disaster coming with Hass here.

"You love me," I correct her, needing to hear it again.

And the way her lips break into this gigantic smile makes me feel like I'm about to have a heart attack from the love I feel for this goddamn woman. "You know I love you."

My response is a swift kiss to her lips before I get out of the car and walk over to her door, opening it for her. She smiles at me, but I see the insecurity in her eyes; this situation is obviously a lot for her. "I'm going to blindfold you now, love."

"What?" She widens her eyes, and I swear I'm so close to just get in the car and get her a hearing aid right now.

"Blindfold?" I repeat. "The thing where you can't see anything?"

Mila just rolls her eyes and slaps my arm, that hint of a smile on her face when she retorts, "I know what a blindfold is, you cucumber!"

"Did you just call me a cucumber?" I laugh, raising an eyebrow at my girlfriend while she blushes again, hiding her face behind her hands.

"I didn't want to insult you, and cucumber was fitting."

Good Lord. How do I deserve this woman?

"Fuck," she whispers again, but I grab her hands from her face and crouch in front of her. I immediately see the worry in her eyes when she studies my face, and that's what pisses me off the most. That asshole made her worry. I know that this—bruised up and with a concussion—isn't the way I wanted to do this, but I simply can't wait anymore. And the fact that she's standing here with my football jersey on...it's just perfect.

It's us.

"I fucking love you so much. You know that, right?" I whisper.

"I know. I love you too."