31. Starbucks

~song of the day~
All I want - Olivia Rodrigo

A police siren is heard behind us, dragging us back to reality

A police siren is heard behind us, dragging us back to reality. With a sigh, Zyair drives slowly to the roadside and parks. He places both hands on the steering wheel and waits for the cops to get to us.

A police officer gets out of the car and walks up to Zyair's window. "Is there a reason you stopped in the middle of the road?" he asks, staring through the little window slit Zyair made.

Zyair shakes his head and swallows. "No. A mistake."

The cop nods and stares through the car window to look at me. He gives me a small wave, and I reply with a tight-lipped smile.

"Have you got any weapons?" he turns back to Zyair.

Zyair rolls his eyes hard and shakes his head. "No."

The officer points to me. "Is she someone you know?"

Zyair raises an annoyed brow and glares at the man in uniform. "Can you just write me a ticket like a proper officer should?"

The man glares at Zyair back before writing something down on a notepad. "Can I see your license?"

"Can I move my hand?" Zyair retorts.

"Look, child.  I'm not a threat, " he raises both hands defensively.

"Neither am I. So can I reach for my license?" Zyair replies in a firm voice.

The officer thinks about his reply for a while before nodding his head. "Don't try anything funny."

"Don't worry. I haven't mastered the art of black magic left, " Zyair makes a sarcastic mutter to himself before pulling out his wallet to grab his licenses.

After the cops let us go, we get to Daze beach at the same time as Gray and Aaron. The sky was starting to get a lot darker, the wind more frisky than usual, signaling the coming of rain.

Ashley is seated on the sand, her knees pulled to her chest, her arms wrapped around herself. Zyair jumps from his car and runs over to her faster than I could say, wait.

Gray and Aaron get down from the car, staring at Zyair as he took off like a mad man. Gray walks over to me and entwines his hands with mine.

"What's wrong with him?" He asks, raising his brow as we watch Zyair pull Ashley into a tight hug.

I sigh as I watched them stay in each other's arms. "Guilt."

Gray stares at me with a confused expression but doesn't say anything. We walk over to them, still wrapped in each other's hands. Zyair is patting Ashley back while whispering soothing words in her ear.

Watching them be at peace in each other's arms made me realize whatever went on between the two of them is a lot deeper than I thought.

"So she's okay, yeah. Can we please get to the burial, " Aaron speaks, breaking the silence.