Chapter 2

Recap:

I look down at the ground. "I can't be here," I say looking up and Tobin's eyes go wide.

"No, Tatum. Please don't go," Tobin says as she starts to walk closer to me.

"Tell Coach Anson I'm sorry," I say turning around and walking back to the parking lot.

I get to my car and as I am about to get in I hear a familiar voice.

"Tatum," I hear and my eyes go wide as I turn around.

"Christen."
———
Present

Tatum's POV:

I stare at Christen with wide eyes as I feel my heart ache. "What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I came with Tobin," Christen says looking down at ground.

I sigh and nod sadly. "I'm going to go," I say turning around to step in the car.

"Please don't go," Christen quickly says making me freeze.

"Why not?" I ask sternly turning back around to face her.

"I was hoping we could catch up and I wanted to apologize," Christen says while looking at me pleadingly.

"Yeah, not gonna happen," I reply with a chuckle.

"Please, Tatum. It's been four years," Christen says.

"Two years of pain and two years of recovery," I say making her look at me sadly, "Two years of hating myself. Feeling insecure. Feeling hurt. Knowing that I wasn't good enough for you. I almost didn't pass medical school. If it wasn't for Hope, I don't know where I would be."

Christen looks shocked at my words. "I don't know what to say. I'm so sorry," she says quietly.

I just stare at her. The girl that broke my heart, standing in front of me.

"Do you still love me?" Christen asks me.

"What?" I ask shocked, "Why do you want to know?"

"Because I need to," she says making me roll my eyes, "Do you still love me?"

I stare at her as I think about it. I sigh and look at the ground not responding.

"You do," Christen says softly.

"Why would it even matter, Christen?" I ask as I look back up, "You don't love me."

Christen goes to say something, but nothing comes out. "See," I say softly, "It doesn't matter."

I get in my car before Christen can say anything and drive off. I feel tears start to form in my eyes. As I stop at a red light I lean my head back and stare at the car ceiling. The tears slowly start to make its way down my cheeks.

Once the light turns green I take a deep breath and continue driving. I drive to the hospital and park once I get there.

"Dr. Solo," one of the nurses says shocked, "I thought you weren't working today."

"I just need to clear my mind. Page me for anything," I tell her with a soft smile and she nods.

I enter my office and sit in my chair. I pull my beanie off and set it on my desk. I put my head into my hands as I think about what happened.

When Christen asked me if I loved her, I wanted to say yes. I wanted to tell her that I needed her, that I wanted her. I just couldn't get myself to say it and besides, she has Tobin.

I sit up and take my sweatshirt off. I put on my lab coat, put my pager in my pocket, and grab my patients documents. "Well, well. If it isn't Dr. Solo," I hear making me look towards the door as it opened.