Chapter 25

"Ah, you won again," I said as the god of order toppled the chess piece in front of me. I leaned my head on my hand as I observed the reflection of the full moon in the lake. Silver leaves were fluttering down around us. It's all very beautiful. 

I had demanded we conducted the chess games under the trees. For three thousand years, I had never sat below the silver leaved trees. I had always stayed in my lake, silently observing my warden under the trees. For once, I wanted to try sitting in the same spot as the god of order, try looking at things from his spot. 

"This is really the perfect spot for keeping guard on me," I chuckled. 

The god of order tapped his fingers on the table in front of us, with faint lines between his brows. 

"Lorelei, let's go and watch snow," he finally suggested gently. He must have realized by now. The gods were closing in on us. 

"Even though it's a nice spot, you must be bored. It's been three thousand long years," I said with my usual smile on my face. "Now you're released from this boring job. Congratulations." 

At that moment, a loud voice boomed, "Kneel down before the gods, the Siren. You have broken the pact. We have come to collect your life." 

Several gods were standing around us, blocking my view to the lake. They hadn't changed one bit. Just like me, I guessed. 

The god of order stood in front of me, blocking me and protecting me from the gods. 

"The siren is my prisoner. It's none of your business, you have overstepped your boundary, god of thunder," the god of order said coldly.  

"She has broken the pact. She even used the dagger that shattered the god of light's soul. She is a threat. She should be punished," boomed the god of thunder. "Kneel down you lowly beast!" 

His order carried some power. I was using all my might to resist his order. "How can I kneel without legs, you stupid god," I drawled sarcastically. After several subtle tries, I finally succeeded to push the god of order aside. 

"Even after three thousand years, you have not learned any etiquette. As expected from a lowly beast." 

"That's right, I'll always be this uneducated lowly beast." I appreciated my newly done nails as I swallowed back down the blood in my throat. "But how much better are you? Are your threats holier?" I smiled sardonically. 

"A lowly beast does not have the right to talk to us," said a goddess standing next to the god of thunder. "We will announce our judgement on you now." 

I waved my hand nonchalantly with a tiny smile on my face. 

"You have overstepped your boundary," the god of order stated again. 

"She attempted to escape. She even stabbed you with that dagger. And you didn't punish her. You're not doing your job," the god of thunder said scornfully. 

The pact was made when the other gods decided to give up on killing me. It was decided upon that if I attempted escape or any rebellious act, I would be killed immediately. I attempted dozens of escape throughout the past three thousand years, but the god of order never acted on the pact. That's why I nearly forgot about the pact. Why did they care all of a sudden?

"She didn't escape," the god of order said coldly. "Nor did she stab me with that dagger you all fear so much."

"We could feel that blasted dagger being used!" 

"Where's the dagger you said she had used?" the god of order asked. 

All the gods stayed silent, until the god of thunder roared, "You have hidden it."

"Evidence?"

"God of order, are you siding with that lowly beast?" 

"Did you develop feelings for that lowly beast?" one goddess tsked. "I can't believe that's the god of order I know." 

"If that's the case," the god of thunder said, "we have to reconsider if you're still suitable for your current post, god of order." 

"We don't want a corrupted god keeping us in order." 

"Can the god of order still be the god of order if he's not following the rules he set out?" one god who had stayed silent throughout all these finally asked. 

"As I have said, do you have any evidence?" the god of order repeated the same question calmly. 

"Do we need any more evidence? Her soul is injured, tattered even. If she hasn't attempted an escape, would the spell you place on her set into motion?"

"The Siren is known for hypnotizing and manipulating people. The god of order must be corrupted too," the god of thunder cried.

"We demanded the god of order be stripped of his power!" 

I could see it now, they did not need evidence. They just needed an excuse. They wanted to pull the god of order down. How long had they been setting him up? 

"I have been anticipating," the god of order said in his cold voice, "for this to happen. You have more patience than I thought." 

"I don't know what you're talking about." 

"If you want my position, just take it. Leave the Siren alone, she wounded her soul when she attempted to use more power than she is supposed to." 

Why did the god of order cover for me? He had always been like this. Never punishing me and now covering for me in front of his own kind. 

"And you said she didn't attempt an escape!"

"Everyone knows the Siren takes pride in her voice. She tried to use her remaining power to reverse the damage done to her voice." 

"Everyone, the god of order, the one who is supposed to keep us in order has been corrupted by the Siren. I demand we strip him of power. He should not be able to have power over us!" 

"That's right!" 

They're not listening. They just wanted an excuse. It's just a witch hunt. 

"Strip me of my title, I don't care. The Siren did not break the pact, she should be left untouched." 

No, I would not let the god of order be stripped of his title in shame, his reputation tainted.

The god of order should not be ruined in power struggles like this. He was like the moon in the sky, gentle, holy and untouchable. I would not allow anyone to frame him.

If I was removed from the picture, no one could target him anymore. I smiled bitterly. In the end, their plan was just hoping to kill two birds with one stone. Killing me and pulling the god of order down.  

"This whole farce is just an act to prove that the god of order is corrupted." I rolled my eyes.  "You don't need to do that," I smiled brightly. "He can prove that he is still the same god of order."

The gods and goddess eyed me suspiciously. 

"He just has to kill me." I smiled even brighter. 

-----------------

Author's note

Lorelei!!!!!