Chapter 11

Sophia's POV

I wake up feeling warmer and more content than I've ever felt before. Slowly coming back to reality, I realize I'm snuggled up close with someone. Someone who causes electrifying tingles to bounce along my skin. This could only be one person; Rowan.

Snuggling closer, if that's possible, I hear a satisfied hum. "I guess you like cuddles." Rowan's voice is husky with sleep, making my stomach feel funny.

Ignoring the feeling, I nod into her chest. "My parents always cuddled with me when I went to bed." My mood instantly dampens thinking about my parents. They are dead. Getting lost in my thoughts, I try to imagine what my life is going to be like now without them. I've never been without them before, so I don't know what to expect.

Rowan grabs my attention by placing her hands on either side of my face like she did earlier in the hospital. She waits for me to look her in the eyes, and once I do, she says, "Just ask me for cuddles and I'll give them to you anytime." I appreciate her choice of words, grateful she didn't press about my parents.

Nodding happily, I'm distracted from my depressing thoughts. She said I could cuddle her anytime I want! I love cuddles, they make me feel safe and reassured that someone will be there for me.

Rowan smiles at me, mirroring the smile that is on my face. Seeing her smile takes my breath away. It is truly a gorgeous sight; the way her face lights up and her eyes gleam with happiness. I could never get sick of it.

Noticing I'm staring, I quickly look away, feeling heat rush to my face. I hear Rowan laugh quietly, and I feel the heat move to my ears. Looking back up at her shyly, I see a gleeful expression on her face.

Not understanding what just happened, I forget about it when Rowan says sweetly, "You're so stunning." Looking at her confused, I tilt my head questioningly. Why would she say something like that? "Sorry, that was too forward. I just wanted you to know."

Wanting to let her know what I think about her, I push aside my nerves and just go for it. "I think you're beautiful. I could watch you smile for as long as you let me."

The smile on her face was worth overcoming my nerves of telling her. Her eyes are even brighter than before, looking to be a lighter gray, and her face shows a small dimple with her wide smile. Seeing her face and what she does next makes my heart beat faster. She pulls me close and whispers in an almost dark voice, "You have no idea what you are doing to me, love."

Not knowing what she means by that, when she pulls away, I look at her with my brows drawn together. She laughs at my face, saying, "Don't worry about it." Shrugging, I do what she says. For whatever reason, I trust her.

A thought pops into my head, making me wonder about so much. There is too much going on in my brain to know what to ask first. As if sensing my unasked questions, she asks, "Are you okay?"

This unleashes a wave of thoughts to tumble out of my mouth. "Where am I? How did you find me? Where is Sparky, the dog who saved me? Who are you? Are we friends now?"

Rowan looks at me patiently, waiting for me to finish, before answering everything she is able to. "You're in my room, in my house. I found you as I was heading back home from the ice cream shop, and the dog that saved you must've ran off before I found you. I'm Rowan, a senior in highschool. And we can be friends if you want to be." Her smile turns into a sad one with the last answer, confusing me further.

I take in everything she says, amazed at how she could keep up with my rambling. Nodding, everything she says makes sense. Deciding on confiding in her about Sparky, I say softly, "Sparky was my first friend. I met her in the woods when I snuck out of my house like a ninja and got lost. She helped me back home and made the loneliness go away for a little bit." My breathing starts to get heavier as I hold back tears. "Now, I'm all alone. My parents are gone, my first friend is gone... what do I have left?"

Rowan grabs ahold of my hands, squeezing tightly, grounding me back to this moment. "You have me. I will never leave you. As I said before, if you want to be friends, I'll gladly agree. I want to be here for you."

All I can muster is a single word, "Why?"

"You won't understand now, but I care for you, more than you could imagine. You haven't had the luxury of having someone be there for you. I want to be that person. The person that you pour your heart and soul to, the person you laugh and cry with, the person who never leaves. I want to be that person." She says in a voice full of emotion, "I want to be there for you."

Tears well up in my eyes, threatening to fall down my cheeks. I throw myself at her, asking in a quiet voice, "Cuddles?"

"Cuddles," she agrees, softly running her hand up and down my back. She provides comfort that even my parents couldn't, but I don't understand why.

What is so special about Rowan?