Chapter 25

Rafe twirls me around as we dance to the music

Rafe twirls me around as we dance to the music. A wide smile on his face as we sway back and forth. I had never seen Rafe so relaxed and at peace. I loved seeing him this calm.

He wraps an arm around my waist, pulling me against him. I wrap my arms around his neck, laying my head on his chest. I listen to his heartbeat and the beat of the soft music playing in the background. I take a deep breath, breathing in his scent. He leans down, pressing a soft kiss to my forehead. I nuzzle my head against his chest. His fingertips trace down my exposed back.

A familiar blonde walks by us as we move to the music. I pick my head up, watching him. He hands a note to Sarah, stopping to speak to her for a brief second.

"What's wrong?" Rafe asks.

"Um, nothing. I'll be right back." I pull away from him, following JJ.

I grab the boys arm, making him jump. I pull him into a corner.

"Woah, Mila, I did not expect to see you here dressed like that."

"Yeah, I know. Rafe and I went public, whatever. Dude, are you okay? Pope told me what happened."

"Yeah, I'm good. You were worried about me?" He asks confused.

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"I don't know. You seem caught up in your own world right now."

"JJ," I say sadly. "I haven't forgot about the Pogues." I pull him into a hug. "What you did for Pope, was incredibly sweet, JJ. I'm glad you're okay."

He pulls away looking at me, his hands on my shoulders. "Love you, Mi. You're a good friend."

"I love you too."

Out of my peripheral vision I see Topper and Kelce make their way over to us. I step in front of JJ, facing the boys. "What do you want?" I ask.

"I'm wonderin' if you could get me a mai tai, my friend." Topper states, looking over me at JJ.

"Yeah, Pogue, how about you make that two?" Kelce adds.

"Why don't you guys fuck off?" I question annoyed.

"Ooh, Rafe's lil' girlfriend is a bit of a firecracker." Kelce says looking me up and down.

"Stop looking at her like that." JJ demands. "Also I'm on the clock right now. You guys look spiffy. You know, uh, I gotta couple prefers ahead of you. So, why don't you go ahead and wait at the bar?"

"Have some fun while you wait." I add. "There's no point I'm following him around like a puppy dog when you could be talking to your girlfriend." I look directly at Topper. "Oh, wait, she doesn't wanna talk to you."

"You, bitch!" Topper spits.

"So sorry. If you excuse me, I'm gonna go find my boyfriend. Have a lovely evening." I turn to walk away.

Topper grabs my arm, tight, looking me directly in the eye. "You watch yourself, Pogue."

"Watch yourself, Top. You might just figure out how to not be a jackass." I pull my arm out of his grasp.

I make my way back over to my boyfriend who had posted himself near the bar. He cocks his head, looking at me slightly confused.

"Where'd you go?" Rafe asks me.

"I saw JJ working. I just wanted to make sure he was okay." I answer honestly.

"Is he?"

"Yeah, maybe a little banged up but he's alright."

A group of boys runs passed us.

"I'll handle it." Rafe says watching them.

"You sure?" I ask.

"Yeah, I'll get them to stop." Rafe says. I look at him unsure. "Mi, I'm not gonna do anything to JJ, I promise. Go find your other friends."

I sigh. "Okay." Rafe presses a kiss to me cheek before disappearing inside.

I walk over to find Kie standing next to her parents. They talk to a group of other Kooks. I could tell Kiara was only pretending to be interested. She turns when she sees me walk up.

"Hey, gorgeous." She greets. Her smile drops when she sees my serious state. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, just some Kook vs. Pogue drama. Rafe's handling it."

"Rafe is handling it?" She questions skeptically.

"Look, I know what you think about him, but when it comes to me he doesn't act like that. He's talking down the Kooks, letting JJ get away."

"Mi, are you sure?"

"Yes, Kie. I know him." I say seriously.

"Okay, I trust you." She puts her hands up in surrender.

JJ is escorted out by a security guard moments later. Rafe steps outside following after them. He makes his way over to me.

"You got him escorted out?" I ask, irritation seeps into my voice.

"No, he did that to get away from Top and Kelce. I told you I'd get him out of there and nothing would happen to him."

I sigh. "I'm sorry, I'm just stressed. Thank you."

"It's okay, everybody! Do not panic." JJ calls out holding his hands in the air. The security guard still stands with him. "Just leave it to the men and women in uniform. Let's hear it for them! Rose! You look like Lady Liberty. It's good to see you again."

I look over at Rafe. "I'm sorry." I whisper. He glances at me without saying anything. I could see that he was in deep thought.

"Let go of him!" Kie yells out. Her dad tries to stop her. "You can't just boot him!"

"Excuse me, ma'am?" The security guard asks the girl.

"I invited him here!" Kie announces.

Kiara's dad steps close behind her. "Kiara, stop it." He mumbles.

"I'm a member of this club." Kie continues, ignoring her dad.

Suddenly JJ pushes the man away from him, causing the guard to let out a grunt as he stumbles into a group of people. The kooks let out a collective gasp, shocked by the mannerisms of the Pogues. "Sorry about that." JJ mumbles. "Hey, mandatory power hour at Rixon's, Kie. Mila, you coming? Pope, you as well, all right? Rixon's Cove. Let's roll."

"Go." Rafe mumbles.

I turn to him in disbelief. "What?"

"Go." He repeats.

"I don't want to embarrass you or get you into trouble." I respond.

"I'll deal with any of that." He says with a light smile. Rafe cups my face in his hands, pressing a deep kiss to my lips. "You're friends need you."

"You're amazing, Cameron!" I yell as I follow after my friends.

"Mila, where you going? Not you too!" I hear my dad call out. I had been avoiding him all night. I ignore him and keep running.

John B comes toward me, wrapping me in a bear hug. I let out a loud giggle, excited to be with the Pogues. He releases me as we all run to the HMS Pogue.