Chapter 2 - Parkwood

-Present day-

It took a few hours for the bus to arrive at his destination. There was a small town on the outskirts of his pack called Red Point. The humans who lived there had no problems with their supernatural neighbors. It was a rare symbiotic relationship where the local police agreed to keep their presence a secret as long as the pack caused no harm to the humans.

Ages ago, a werewolf pack would only contain a few members in a makeshift family, but as the world advanced, so did werewolves. Now when someone spoke about a werewolf pack, they generally meant an entire town. This was because Alphas began purchasing land far away from human society to build remote villages for their packs to live safely. The larger a pack's population was, the less likely they'd be raided by enemies. Naturally over time these small villages grew to the size of entire towns. Now it was a common practice to meet a population size of at least 200 before they could be properly labeled a pack. Anything smaller would be considered a rogue community.

Every now and then despite their size, these remote packs would find themselves the target of wandering enemies. Of course the Alpha had to be strong enough to defend the town, but they were only one person. To help fortify their packs, Alphas started collecting werewolves with rare abilities to become their obedient Beta's. What's more, in order to become the next Alpha you had to meet certain criteria from a young age and then undergo training. It'd be stupid to just hand the title down from father to son if the son was incompetent after all. 

This was how modern werewolves survived.

Stepping off the bus, Darren took a deep breath of fresh pine before getting body slammed.

Dropping his bags, he stumbled for a few steps trying to regain his balance before the culprit finally let go and stood back. Sophie's long black hair was now cut short and dyed purple, with thick black eyeliner accentuating her eyes. She was skinnier than he remembered, but still lively.

"Aunt Sophie!" Darren smiled at her. "It's been ages!"

"Hasn't it?" She smirked, amused by her own antics. She then gave him a once over before whistling. "Look who filled out, and was that muscle I felt on those scrawny bones of yours?"

Years ago, Darren was as much of a twig as his father was. After leaving the pack to live with his uncle Don he started working multiple jobs so he could save up to go back to school one day. It just so happened that those jobs were all labor intensive, like his construction job. Over the years he had filled out nicely, though his clothes still made him look a bit weak. What's more, he grew his hair out passed his shoulders and currently had it tied back in a ponytail. His clothes were just as plain as ever though, with a black band shirt and skinny jeans with sneakers.

"Maybe." He replied as he picked his bags back up. "So when are you going to tell me what the emergency is? It's kind of annoying that you didn't say anything on the phone."

He had sworn that he'd never return to the pack, but a few nights ago he received a very distressing call from his aunt. She was very cryptic about her reasoning, but she insisted that Darren return ASAP. Naturally he wanted to argue, but his uncle had sat him down and explained how Sophie wouldn't ask something like that from him if it wasn't important. So he gave in and agreed to visit.

She sucked in a breath and held it, then glanced around suspiciously. "Let's head back to my place before we talk about that." She then led him to her green Subaru Forester and began driving into the forest towards their home town of Parkwood.

For their protection, the pack had no major roadways in or out of it. Anyone visiting the pack had to stop in Red Point first and hitch a ride from there. That way no one would accidentally show up and blow their cover.