28 | Breaking In

I check the corridor before stepping out from the ladies room, since I have to make sure that no one is going to catch Vaughn slipping out from it

All clear. I sigh and walk out, Vaughn following behind me. While we're about to walk in the corridor, someone clears his throat, making us stop dead in our track.

I turn around to find a guy leaning on his back against the wall, eyeing us with a smirk on his face. "Who would have thought? Vaughn and Melanie."

Shit. He knows us. How could I not see him just now? Maybe it's because he's leaning so close to the wall behind me that my eyes must have missed him.

"Austin," Vaughn mutters, eyeing the said guy with a menacing look, unable to hide the irritation in his voice. From the deadly look on Vaughn's face, he would definitely strike a deal with Austin about keeping our secret.

I remember the name. Austin. The football buddy who called Vaughn yesterday while we were making out in the kitchen. Now that I have a good look at him, I notice that he resembles young Chad Michael Murray.

Austin seems unfazed by Vaughn's glare, like he's used to it. "Sorry, man," Austin says, putting his hands up, amusement present in his voice. "Just wanna inform you that coach is waiting for you."

Vaughn rolls his eyes and turns to me. "I'll be right back."

I nod, watching as Vaughn walks past Austin, but not before throwing him a sharp look, as if telling him to follow suit.

Austin chuckles and looks at me, causing me to feel awkward.

"Hi, Austin." I smile, trying to be friendly and to ignore the fact that he just caught us doing something naughty in the ladies room.

"Don't worry." Austin smirks. "I won't say anything to Jake."

I would be so thankful if he keeps his words. The last thing I need is Jake finding out about Vaughn and me from somebody else. I'm not going to keep this secret forever. I'm just still trying to find a way to tell him because we all know how Jake always reacts when it comes to me and boys.

"I would really appreciate it, Austin," I say genuinely. "Thanks."

Austin smirks. "No problem. I'd been wondering why Vaughn seemed a lot happier recently. But now, I know why."

His words make me blush. Is it true? Do I make Vaughn happy?

Now, a soft smile tugs at Austin's lips. "Really. That's a good thing. He's been through enough already."

I frown. Is he talking about Vaughn's past relationship?

With Camila.

I can only plaster a small smile, still wondering what has actually happened between them. She's now a part of his past but somehow still makes me insecure. I hope that Vaughn will open up to me if I ask him about it. Definitely not now, since we're just beginning. But sometime in the future.