Chapter 2: Alice

Eyes, everyone's eyes were on me. Well I hope that they were not particularly on me, they all should be on our dear Alix. Our sunny was first to marry out of the three of us. I was in charge of carrying the wedding bands on a stiff red pillow. As we all walked down the isle I felt everyone's judgement. I did not belong here, this was not England or Germany, this was Russia, a foreign country.

I was a foreigner, different fashion, manners and culture. Alix's smile was the brightest thing in the room, beating the sparking jewels and elderly women's makeup. Her smile was always bright, but it appeared less after the death of her mother and sister. Those were the darkest days of all of our lives.

Once we got to the alter Scarlett and I departed to our seats that were in the very front row. An hour and a half passed when I noticed Scarlett's annoyed look, the ceremony was extremely long in this stuffy church. Grand it was indeed but with all the attendees the air became hot. I offered her a smile, understanding her discomfort of the stuffy air and aching heels. Constantly we were either standing for long periods of time or sitting. Scarlett glared at me, after my smiling. I wasn't surprised, that is just how she is.

In the middle of the ceremony I was called up to give the rings, thankfully everything went according to plan and I went back to my seat

Alix was so happy and her match, Nicholas Alexandrovich was such a dear. He was a very nice man and a perfect match for her. The ceremony concluded after taking a total of three hours, our childhoods have officially ended. Dukes, Kings, princesses, Counts, and countesses rushed to congratulate the new couple. I managed to push through with Scarlett by my side but managed to exchange no words with my dear cousin Alix. Instead I placed myself on the side of the room, away from the large crowd. I watched as Olga Alexandrovna walked towards the crowd to attempt to speak with her eldest brother but she was stopped, stopped by Grand Duke George Alexandrovich, her second brother.

He was so handsome, the first time I met him was at Alix's older sister's, (the now Grand Duchess Ella) wedding. I was introduced to the dashing young Grand Duke yet I was lost for words and made a fool out of myself. I remember him making everyone laugh and I also remember all the attention he had from girls like me, I was invisible to him.

"Who are we looking at?" I jump and turn to see Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna standing next to me, just 12 years old. How did she get here so quickly? "N-No one."I stutter while madly blushing, glancing to see some woman with a lustful look on her face while conversing with the man that had caught my eye so long ago, I was surprised to find him not courting with anyone yet. Olga Alexandrovna took a particular liking to me when we met a few years back so I wasn't that surprised that she was the one talking to me.

"Well from what I can tell you were staring and blushing at that codfish or my brother Georgy, and I do not think that you were staring at that awful woman."she teases as my face became more pink. "I was not staring!"I denied. "Whatever you say!"she singsonged teasingly. "Olga you are a very romantic girl with a large imagination."I roll my eyes. "You can not fool me Alice!"she skipped away, joining her brother, George Alexandrovich who was now with their mother, Empress Marie. I watched as she whispered something to the Grand Duke while looking towards my direction.

I stood off to the side not wanting to be pulled into the crowd of people in the middle of the church room. I waited for some time, lost in my own world. I thought about our summers in England, when we all always got into mischief. I recalled the first time that we sneaked into town. It was late at night and none of us could sleep. We were amongst a conversation when the idea had came up. I was very against it, thinking about the dangers of the outside world that was unknown to us. Scarlett already persuaded Alix and I had no choice in the matter.

"Hello again Baroness Alice Hohenlohe-Langenburg," I froze, I froze because I knew exactly who stood next to me. Butterflies erupted in my stomach, my face flushed a bright red, the room started to feel small. I turned to face him but I did not dare to look at his face. I bowed politely, "Greetings Grand Duke George Alexandrovich." The Duke chuckled at my nervous self, "I think that titles are too formal and too long, call me George." I quickly followed, "Call me Alice" I mustered up the courage to look at him, his bright blue eyes were observing my every move.

"Well Alice, I think that the ceremony was lovely, don't you think so?"he focused his attention on the crowd. "It was indeed lovely"I agreed, trying to keep myself together. I did not want to make a fool out of myself again, I hope he forgot our first encounter. "How do you enjoy Russia so far?"he asks me. "It's very beautiful,"I stammer. "I can tell that you are very nervous, Alice." George points out. "Don't be nervous because of rank."

"It's not that,"I muttered. "Then what is it?"he insists, his beautiful bright blue eyes peering into mine. "I-I-I must go, goodbye Grand Duke George,"I bowed again, leaving him confused. I pushed through the crowd, "Alice! There you are darling! I was wondering where you went off to!" Alix exclaimed. "I wanted to wait out the crowd but now it just seems larger,"I chuckle as Alix giggles with me,"Why are you such a bright shade of red?"

"I am just so hot in this room, we will speak soon Alix! Congratulations my darling cousin!"I smile as I turn away from her, speed walking to a pew, taking a seat in the back of the grand church room. I study the architecture of the church, which is very beautiful, breath taking paintings, art, frosts of gold. My eyes wander around the room and meet Grand Duke George's which are already placed on me. He offers me a smile, making my insides squirm, This trip is going to be painfully long.