Chapter 5 | maeve is lovely. studies are not.

-------------------> MAEVE DIDN'T HAVE ANY REAL INTEREST IN SCHOOL nor did she care about how she performed in her examinations

-------------------> MAEVE DIDN'T HAVE ANY REAL INTEREST IN SCHOOL nor did she care about how she performed in her examinations. She had done admirably well in her O.W.L.S, as promised to her parents, and she would do well in her N.E.W.T.S also for the same reason, but the tests conducted by Hogwarts? She didn't do well, and she frankly, didn't care.

Thankfully, her parents were quite understanding and supportive of their only daughter and had assured her that they would be proud of her no matter what she did and were thrilled that she had chosen to carve her own legacy in the world. Her imprint, unique to the world. They were ecstatic that she had touched lives with her words and had made a mark in this world by her own claim.

Marius Macmillan, the uncle of the current Head of House and his wife, Mavis Macmillan nee Bones, had had a grand life, with Marius' job as a British delegate in the International Confederation of Wizards and Mavis' occupation of a runes mistress. The two had been childhood sweethearts and had wedded shortly after graduating, eager to begin the next phase of their lives. But many years into their marriage and with no child, the two had extinguished hope of ever receiving the boon to become parents.

And so, to find out that Mavis was pregnant in her mid-forties, had come out as a pleasant surprise. So one could not blame the couple for spoiling the daughter they desperately wished for with anything and everything she wanted. They treated her like a princess and made it clear to her that the world was her oyster.

So to Marius and Mavis Macmillan, as long as their precious angel was happy and safe, they certainly didn't bother to care about numbers on parchments. Those numbers didn't define their daughter, and they weren't going to let it do so.

Besides, the reason students strived to do well in their O.W.L.S was so they could get into the N.E.W.T.S and the reason the youth were motivated into doing well on their N.E.W.T.S was so they could stand a chance to getting a job in the Ministry of Magic.

However, Maeve already had a job waiting for her.

She was going to be a journalist and author. A position in the Daily Prophet had had her name written on it ever since she was nine and she was on her way to becoming an actual author as well, with a children's book that she had penned down in her free time having been recently approved for publishing and copies already being pre-ordered.

And so, while her fellow year mates drove themselves insane with their revisions and homework, Maeve could be seen happily daydreaming; something that everybody else was quite jealous and annoyed with her for.

In this time, especially when they were all together in the Great Hall for meals, Maeve took the time to observe her surroundings, just like she always did. She made a bullet point list and noted the names or characteristics of those who looked sad or stressed out while drawing doodles around their names.

Timothy Frazzle in the Gryffindor table was gripping his fork until his knuckles were white, she noted, while Megan Bates of Ravenclaw had red eyes that were highlighted by the bags of dark circles beneath them and Destiny Thomas of Hufflepuff was looking thinner than she had been with sunken cheeks and had barely touched the full plate of food in front of her.