ONE

Picture a fifteen-year-old boy at the edge of the rooftop staring down at another teenage boy

Picture a fifteen-year-old boy at the edge of the rooftop staring down at another teenage boy. The only difference is that the latter is laying lifelessly on the ground, swimming in his pool of blood. Some people might say that was the beginning of chaos in Newland but that wasn't when things began falling apart.

My name is CJ Ikem. I was supposed to be a nobody in this story, and maybe I am. I was nothing but the class thief when this little story of ours started but then, we all thought of ourselves as one thing or the other when the simple truth was that we were all just stupid teenagers.

One thing you need to know before continuing with this story is that it starts with death and ends with death-all because of the things we did. No one in this story is innocent.

If you're going to be keeping track of everything happening here, then I suggest you start with Ismael Essien. Our story starts with him.

The things we do have an aftereffect on the people around us and even people we never knew so yes, our story begins with Ismael Essien and his brother, Zehan Essien. Let's start with the Essiens as a family.

In the end, you might want to ask yourself, 'Who is to be blamed?'

I'll make the answer short and simple for you:

Everyone.

◈ ━━━━━━━ ⸙ - ⸙ ━━━━━━━ ◈

Zehan didn't think he would ever see daylight again. He was hoping he would never wake up again. He had prepared himself for the burning flames of hell after trying to get his one-way ticket to the land of the dead. So you could imagine the expression on his face when he woke up and found himself on a hospital bed and an IV drip connected to his right hand.

If there was one thing he hated, then it was the smell of hospitals but he had gotten used to it being that it was the second time he was admitted for trying to take his own life.

He could only imagine what his parents would say this time around but he couldn't care less because they didn't care either.

Zehan tried to make himself a little bit more comfortable on the hospital bed because he knew what was coming. The loud argument that was coming from outside the small hospital room told him that it was only a matter of time before he would have to face his parents and explain to them why they had to waste money on hospital bills all in the name of pretending like they cared whether he was alive or not.

"If we don't do something now, it might be too late." He heard his father say.

"I'm not going to have people looking at me and gossip about how my child is in a psychiatric hospital." Monica Essien's voice was much more hushed than her husband's, just as Zehan expected. She wouldn't want anyone getting the slightest idea as to what the conversation with her husband entailed.