XII. A MORNING OF MEMORIES

A MORNING OF MEMORIES!

NOVEMBER 1976

6th Year

• • • •

Remus Lupin had never been kissed. No matter how many times Sirius had tried to rope him into playing spin the bottle, or James had tried to convince him to ask out a girl. And he had to say, it went quite well.

Holland Lux, on the other hand, had been kissed. Quite a few times, as well. Her first one being shared with none other than Regulus Black, on a dare. As well as Mulciber, when she was dating him in their third year, and a couple more times during games, such as truth or dare when celebrating a Quidditch win with a handful of Slytherins or Ravenclaw.

But with Remus Lupin in courtyard, under the cover of the stars and the night's sky. That kiss had to be her favourite.

***

"Where did you disappear to last night?" Maxine as Holland as the girl sat next to the redhead.

"Yeah, you went to get some air and then completely disappeared." Regulus said, raising an eyebrow.

"Oh, uh, yeah, I wasn't feeling to well, so I went to bed early." Holland answered, not meeting her friends' stares.

"Okay." They hummed, making the Slytherin relax. She was, after all, a terrible liar.

"Well, I spent the night dancing with Evan," Maxine grinned, making Bronwyn look down, Holland noticing, "In fact, he and I are going on the next Hogsmeade trip together."

"Look at you." Holland teased, nudging her dormmate.

"Yeah, it's great." Bronwyn muttered, staring at her plate of food.

Grabbing a piece of toast, Holland then stood up, making her friends look at her, confused.

"I'm gonna go to the library," She told them, "See you at Charms."

From the Gryffindor table, Remus watched as the Slytherin left The Great Hall, his mind swirling with thoughts from the night before, as Peter, James and Sirius joined him at the table.

"Where were you last night, Moony?" James questioned, sitting next to the boy, as Peter and Sirius sat across from them.

"Just went for some air," Remus shrugged.

Sirius furrowed his eyebrows, "For the whole night?"

"Went to bed after a small while. Balls aren't really my thing. You know that."

"Well, you missed these two spiking the drink," James said, gesturing to a smirking Sirius and a proud looking Peter, "Flitwick had so much pumpkin juice that he passed out. Longbottom and Cresswell had to carry him to his chambers. Sirius spent the rest of the night dancing with some blonde. I never did get that dance with Lily."

"Sorry to have missed it." Remus mumbled, spreading butter on his toast.

"Anyway, gents," Sirius said with a grin, rubbing his hands together, excitedly, "There are more important things to discuss. My birthday's coming up."

***

Sitting at her usual table in the library, Holland let out a sigh, a small smile forming on her lips as she remembered the ball last night. The smile only grew when her favourite Hufflepuff sat across from her.

"You were right." Margaret told the girl.

"I'm right about quite a lot of things," Holland told her with a smile, closing her Transfiguration textbook, "What happened."

"Last night, at the ball, you were right," Margaret clarified, "With a costume, and a mask, I felt this surge of confidence. I danced with Sirius the whole night."

"The only time one can truly be themselves is when others think they're somebody else." Holland mused.

"That's very poetic of you." Margaret chuckled lightly.

"A habit I've picked up from my Grandfather, I've found." The Irish girl said.

"Well, you kept your word," Margaret smiled, "You helped get him to notice me."

"My job's not fully done, yet." Holland shook her head.

"How do you mean?"

"He doesn't actually know who he danced with," Holland told the blonde, who nodded in realisation, "He's easy enough to recognise, with the shaggy hair and loud, pompous attitude, but there are plenty blondes with greenish-blue eyes at Hogwarts."

"Right." Margaret mumbled.

"But no worry," Holland said, standing up, collecting her book and bag as she did so, "We just have to build your confidence," The girl went to leave, before turning around again, "Thanks for recommending Frankenstein, by the way. You were right, it is a good book."

Margaret gave her a smile, "You're not the only one can be right about quite a lot of things."

Holland chuckled, "I'll see you in Charms," She said, before leaving the library.

***

That evening, Remus and Holland were walking around the castle, doing their rounds in silence.

"Chocolate?" Remus broke the quiet, holding the treat out to her.

"You never cease to amaze me, Mr Lupin," Holland said, smiling as she took the chocolate, "It's almost like you're a vending machine."

Remus chuckled, taking a bite, "I get that a lot."

They continued walking in silence, eating their chocolate before they both spoke up again.

"By the way-"

"About last night-"

The pair both shut their mouths after hearing the other one talk, chuckling, before coming to a stop in the middle of the corridor.

"About last night," The boy said, as Holland looked up at him in anticipation, "I had fun.

"Yeah," Holland nodded, looking down at her feet, "Yeah, I did, too."

"I particularly enjoyed the end of the night." Remus admitted, blushing as he scratched the back of his neck.

"That part was rather enjoyable." The Slytherin nodded.

The sixth years looked at each other, smiling, as they continued their rounds, walking in silence, hands intertwined.