Chapter 5: Scarlett

I ran across the palace which one of the empress's ladies had given me a tour of a few days ago. It was then that I saw this gorgeous little garden tucked away where almost no one could see it. As soon as I reached the garden I collapsed onto one of the stone benches and started crying bitter and angry tears. It wasn't fair that life had dealt me this hand while all of my cousins had titles and didn't have to struggle with money while I needed this job for my wellbeing. There was no safety net this was it. Then I started feeling angry at myself for ruining The best day of Alix's life. I got up wiped off my tears and fluffed up my dress and started to head back to the ballroom. But as soon as I turned around I ran into someone."Excuse me." I said to them and scurried off into the hallways. It didn't see who it was but I had assumed they wanted to be alone since they went to that secret garden. But I did see that it was a tall man with a mustache. As I approached the ballroom I slowed my pace and prepared to enter but a guard stopped me. "Invitation please." He grumbled at me. Crap! They had taken my invitation when I went inside the first time. "I don't have it you took it the first time I came in." I said to them looking them directly in the eye. "Title then please." The guard said staring me down directly in the eyes. "I don't have a title." I said looking down at my shoes again which I normally did when I no longer had the strength to look someone in the eye. "So no invitation and no title. Then your a peasant and we could arrest you for trying to break in." Before they could say anymore I sped back down the hall and around the corner into a dark room. Good god won't this night ever end? I asked myself as I hid in the shadows of the dark room. Soon the door opened and I heard people come in. They were talking so low I could barely hear what was being said but I would recognize the soft timid voice of the woman anywhere. It was Alice. I had to bite my tongue and my clamp my mouth shut with my hands so I wouldn't let out a gasp of surprise. What was she doing here with a man she wasn't married too? I heard soft giggling the rustling of clothes and...Footsteps? We're they dancing to no music? Then all of a sudden I heard the whiny voice of the empress call out to the man. "George George. She called. I had to clamp my mouth shut again. The grand duke? She was in here with the grand duke?! The grand duke bowed and ran out of the door. Alice started backing up as if she were allergic to the light and ran right into me! I mentally cursed myself for being so close to the door. "Eek!" She said out of surprise. "Scarlett? What are you doing here?" She asked in almost a panicky voice. "I could ask you the same thing." I snapped at her and bustled out of the room. I didn't mean to be so mean to her but she's so naive I couldn't help but snap. As I walked back to my room I saw Katherine flirting with some man that I didn't know out in light of the moon. Good grief isn't there a break around here? I grumbled to myself as my jealousy overtook me. As I walked back to my room my memory. I was standing in a shop in England when Alix went and us went shopping on one of our many holidays there. I remember that all of the other girls including my cousins had been able to buy an expensive new hat but I only had enough money for a wicker bonnet. As I walked out of the store next to Alix I could hear the girls snickering behind us. A pang of jealousy and sadness overtook me but I was soon jerked out of it when I ran into someone. I looked up and it was the king of England himself. I bowed low blushing as red as a beet and more mortified then I had ever been. I heard a snicker from the corner of the hallway my eyes darted over there. Katherine. She was watching my embarrassment how dare she! I slowly rose to my feet. "I am so sorry your majesty I wasn't watching where I was going." My heart was racing and I knew I had made a mistake I'm only supposed to speak unless I'm spoken too first. Luckily he didn't seem to care. "It is quite alright Miss what is your name?" He said with a heart laugh. For the first time I looked up at him and saw that he was very tall with a mustache. Oh no! What if he was the one I ran into in the garden. Oh why am I so clumsy? "Scarlett" I say sweetly with a friendly smile. "Scarlett what?" He asked me with kindness in his eyes. "Just Scarlett." I reply. "Well just Scarlett where are you going so quickly?" I blushed and I suddenly remembered that Katherine was still watching and I composed myself. I felt as though he was an old friend and so I decided to tell him the truth. "I am upset because I am a wallflower." I say softly. "Come sit with me." He says and gestures to a bench in courtyard. I quietly sat down next to him and started explaining why I was upset. "Well you see-" but he cut me off by putting a finger up to my lips. And then he started pulling closer towards me.