Part 5

I'm being watched. There's a quad in the center of the campus and I'm eating my peanut butter and jelly sandwich under a rain shelter, but I sense I'm being watched. On the other side of the yard, a nerdy looking guy with lank, greasy hair and a dark-skinned gothic girl are none-too-subtle about scoping me out. They're actually talking behind their hands. I guess I am a new girl. I should have expected this a little. I'll ignore them.

The morning session passed mercifully fast. I was introduced as a new pupil and most people had figured out that I was Fern's cousin since we'd arrived together. I had American History with her but then I'd gone to Spanish alone. I haven't seen since Zeke since our encounter at the office.

I finish my sandwich and drop the wrapper in the trash. I'm about to head off to find a restroom when I see the Elvira-looking girl marching my way. She's heading right for me, eyes and lips as black as onyx. Her hair is twisted into litle devil horns. I hope if I don't make eye-contact she'll walk right past. 'Hey there,' she says.

I can't not stop. 'Hi.'

The nerdy guy is trailing behind her. 'Don't worry. I'm not gonna take your lunch money or anything. We just wanted to say hi. I'm Dahlia. This is Eddie.'

'I'm Taryn. Fern Water's cousin.'

'I know,' says Dahlia. 'We have Homeroom together.'

'Oh I'm sorry, I didn't see you. It's all pretty new...my brain is mush.'

'Sorry about your mom,' Eddie says quietly. Every inch of his body language is awkward and zig-zagged.

I'm a little taken aback. 'Thanks, I guess. How do you even know about that?'

Dahlia answers. 'Satanville is a small town - everyone knows everyone else's business.'

'Satanville?'

She smiles. Under all the make-up she's very pretty. 'Oh come on! That's what everyone calls this place! Too easy not to. Say, where are you headed?'

I shrug. 'Nowhere in particular.'

'Wanna see something cool?'

Why not? It's not like Fern and her cheerleader friends have made any great effort to make me feel included and I can't say I'm too bothered about that. 'Sure. Are we gonna get into trouble?'

'Would that stop you?'

I smile. 'Probably not.'

'The Den', as Dahlia calls it, is an old greenhouse on the outskirts of the football pitch. Now, disused, Dahlia and Eddie have dragged some old beanbags and an armchair inside. There are still a few cracked planters and vines grown over the glass ceiling, but the structure's intact. 'What is this place?'

'They used to keep it for Biology or something,' Eddie mutters. 'But it hasn't been used for years.'

'No-one else comes down here,' Dahlia says. 'It's our Den now. We broke the lock last semester. Have a seat.' She motions at the armchair. I dread to think where they scraped it up from, but I sit anyway. 'So what's your true story?' Dahlia asks, sitting herself on the old worktop. 'I try not to believe the school gossip.'

So much for a fresh start. I shrug. 'On this occasion what you heard is true. My mom died last month. She had cancer. I've come here to live with my grandmother and aunt on their...in Shelby.' I don't know why I'm protecting Fern's lie, but it seems easier to play along.

'What about your dad?'

'My dad died when I was a baby.'

'Damn. Sorry about that.'