Chapter 12

Rowan's POV

Having Sophia in my arms is pure bliss. When she asked for cuddles, I gratefully accepted, wanting to be closer to her. I want to comfort her, make her feel loved. She hasn't had enough people there to support her, so I'm determined to be there.

Sophia's head lays on my chest, in the same position we were in when we woke up. She is holding me close, her arms wrapped around my body tightly. I'm close enough to her hair to smell the lingering scent of blood. I tried to scrub away all the blood I could while she was passed out in the hospital, but I must've not done a good enough job. Not only do I smell the blood of her parents, but also her cotton candy and flowers scent, making me feel whole.

I can do anything, as long as I have Sophia by my side.

She pulls away looking at me, scanning my face. I smile at her softly, her tears long gone. We just lay there, enjoying each other's company, before I ruin our moment. "Do you want to take a shower?"

She looks into my eyes, worried about something. "Do I stink? Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry!" Quickly scooting away from my confused form, she tries to smell herself.

The sight is slightly humorous, but I reassure her in a level tone, "No, you don't stink. I just wanted to give you the option to shower if you wanted to." I decided not to mention that she was covered in blood just the day before, not wanting to remind her of what happened.

Sophia takes a deep breath, smiling at me. "A shower would be great."

I get up to retrieve some of my clothes for her to wear. Grabbing a towel and washcloth, I set everything in the bathroom for her. Walking back out, I study her face. She seems to be in pain, her face scrunched up, her eyes unfocused.

Quickly pulling her into my arms, I ask, "Are you okay? What's wrong?"

Her eyes refocus, and she looks to me in wonder. "You made the bad memories go away. They were hurting me, and you made them go away."

I finally understand what is wrong. Her memories of that night attack her roughly, so hard that it pains her. I guess whenever I leave, they come back. When I held her, the mate bond was strong enough to make them go away. "I'm glad they went away, love."

Deciding that I must be by her at all times, I lead the way to the bathroom, my hand in hers. Not knowing how she is going to get through the shower alone, I face her to tell her about our dilemma. "Whenever I leave, the memories come back, right?" She nods sadly. "Do you think you can make it through your shower alone?"

Sophia thinks it over, probably weighing the pros and cons. After a few minutes, she nods slowly, as if reluctant to let me leave.

"I'll be right outside the door if you need me. Just yell and I will be right by your side." With that, I leave her after one last look.

I lean up against the doorframe of the bathroom, listening to Sophia's shaky steps as she undresses and climbs into the shower after setting it to the right temperature.

The first half of the shower goes smoothly, but I soon hear Sophia's cries. My heart breaks for her, knowing what she just went through. "Love, are you alright?"

All I hear are her broken sobs, my heart shattering even more. I hear the water turn off, and the shuffling of clothes as she puts them on. The door opens quickly, and I feel a shivering body collapse into my hold.

Wrapping my arms around her, I whisper in her ear, "I'm never leaving you. I'll always be here."

We stay in that position until Sophia calms down, her shivering ceases and her sobs become less frequent. She pulls away, sadness etched onto her gorgeous face. Her perfect eyebrows are scrunched, her lips turned downwards in a frown. "T-Thank you," she says shakily, her voice cracking as another sob escapes her lips.

Tightening my hold on her, I whisper as if she would break, "You're welcome, love."