Chapter 29

That evening I see Rafe and Ward get into Ward's SUV from Rafe's bedroom window. Rafe had asked me to stay the night after what happened with Barry. He had left his room, telling me he had to go talk to his dad. I thought he would come back but he didn't.

I rush downstairs, trying to see where they were going. As I reach the front door, Ward's car pulls down the street, away from the house.

I quickly get in my car to follow them. The secrecy was becoming to much and I needed to find out what was going on with Rafe. We had agreed no more secrets but it seemed like he wasn't sticking to that.

I follow their car all the way to the cut. The Cameron boys pull down the grass road Barry lived on. I stop my car before the turn and get out, hiding that I was there. I stand back, concealing myself in the tall grass. I see their dark SUV pull in front of Barry's house.

Both doors of the car open, but only Ward gets out. I run over to Rafe's open door when his dad disappears around the corner. I pull Rafe's door open, making him jump.

"Mila?" He whispers shocked. "What the hell are you doing here? You shouldn't be here."

"What's going on?" I ask frantically. "Cameron, what aren't you telling me? We said so no more secrets."

"Mila, you can't be here. Please just go." He begs. He steps out of the car, looking me in the eye.

"I'm not going till you tell me what the hell is going on?"

"I owe this guy some money, all right? My dad is handling it."

"Barry. I know who he is. He came by earlier. Rafe, he hurt you."

"I know. But Mila, you have to go. Look, he threatened you, okay?"

"You shouldn't be here either." I respond back.

The sounds of people fighting catch our attention. Rafe moves passed me, looking at what's going on. I follow him, looking at what he was watching. Ward was hovering over Barry who was collapsed on the ground. Ward kicks the man on the ground one last time before turning to walk back to the car. He freezes when he sees Rafe and I staring back at him.

Rafe reaches behind him, pulling me back, so he stood I'm front of me. He keep a protective arm out, keeping distance between Ward and I.

A cough comes from Barry on the ground.

"I told you to stay in the goddamn car." Wards voice comes out low and threatening. "And what the hell is she doing here?"

"Leave her out of this." Rafe mumbles.

Ward walks past us. "Get your bike."

"I'll pay you back." Rafe tells his dad.

"No, Rafe." Ward turns around. "You won't."

Rafe stops walking toward his bike and turns around, looking at his dad. Ward walks toward him. I step to the side, staying out of the way.

"You know why you won't?" Ward asks. "Because you're a liar. And you're a thief. And you can not be trusted."

I look over at Rafe. Tears were welling up in his eyes. I wanted to reach out and console him but I was scared, so I didn't.

"And I can't have you in my house, son." He was throwing Rafe out. "Don't come home."

Ward turns around, walking toward the car.

"Where do you want me to go?" Rafe questions. Ward ignores the boy, continuing to walk away from his son. "Dad!"

I finally reach out to Rafe. I take his hand in mine, getting him to look at me. A tear rolls down his cheek. I reach up to wipe it with my thumb.

"Cameron?" I whisper, squeezing his hand. His eyes travel my face. "Come stay with me. At least for tonight, please."

His hand moves up to my cheek, cupping my face. A sad look crosses his face as he looks at me. "I can't bring you into this."

"I'm just giving you a place to stay, okay?"

Rafe sighs. "Okay."

"You're not alone, okay?"

Rafe stares at me, tears still falling from his eyes. His eyes wander around my face. I felt very exposed in the moment. I was unsure what to do. He finally cups my face, pressing a deep kiss to my lips. I grip his hips, pulling him against me.

Rafe pulls away, looking back into my eyes. "I love you." He whispers.

A breath hitches in my throat. He finally said it. I was in complete shock by those three words. I loved Rafe more than anything and I desperately wanted to tell him, and now I could.

"I love you too."