Chapter Nine pt 2

Frowning, Drokn stared a while in silence before responding. "I'm not planning to leave."

Eial stared back and after a pause plainly said, "okay," and looked away.

Drokn felt a sense of frustration welling up inside joined with a weird sensation of clay being squeezed and pressed together. To try and ease the discomfort, he deflected to Eial, mumbling. "It's not like I have anywhere to go anyway." To his despair, the silence that followed only deepened the discomfort and his brows creased even further. In desperation, he changed the subject. "Why didn't you tell me you'd die if you're away from your bond?"

"I can die?!" Eial exclaimed in shock, flipping himself upwards to sit up.

"Do you... not?" Did that witch lie to me? the demon thought, his fists clenching.

"I'm not sure..." Eial answered in honesty. He had read up on Elven romances, but rarely tragedies. All the informational books about Elven bonds in the libraries talked about mutual growth and bonds strengthening as if it was a given that bonds will love and stay together. The elves couldn't have predicted a situation like his own. He gently rubbed at the ache in his chest which unfortunately did not go away with rest.

Noticing his movement, Drokn bit his lower lip lightly and croaked out unfamiliar words that sounded awkward at its exit. "Are you... hurting?" The moment Eial looked up at him, he became self conscious and whipped his head around in regret. "Nevermind."

Eial stared blankly for a moment before his eyes took a turn to examine his surroundings. "Where are we?"

"Somewhere in commonland. This cabin was unoccupied."

"Unoccupied? For how long? Is it safe here? We shouldn't occupy someone else's—"

"Ah fuckin— Does it matter? You needed to— Augh!" Drokn stood up quickly and vigorously scratched his head. "Just deal with it for now. I'll take care of it if someone comes."

Eial looked suspiciously at Drokn. "No hurting."

Rolling his eyes, Drokn thinned his eyelids and stared back at Eial. "I know!"

After a brief pause, Eial opened his mouth again. "Have you slept yet? I can keep watch for a while while you—"

"No."

"But you—"

Drokn turned around and raised his voice in defiance. "No! I'm not the least bit tir—" As if the world wanted to embarrass him, his body forced out a yawn.

Eial blinked at Drokn in silence.

"No. Don't say anything. I'm staying awake. Don't question me." Drokn paced around the small room and started to open drawers and cabinets, pretending to search the cabin. But being too dark to see, he stopped and plopped onto the wooden stool in frustration. "Go to sleep."

"I feel awake for now."

"Then take your sleeping concoction and make yourself sleep!" The words slipped out naturally for Drokn, but it was only after he noticed Eial's bleak emotions in his averted gaze that he realized the insensitivity of his words. "I didn't mean it like that, I just—" He wanted to continue, Your body needs rest! and assure him that he wouldn't be leaving but stopped himself with clenched fists.

The heavy air that met both of them became as suffocating as humid marshland. Eventually, Drokn heard shuffling and the sound of pouring water. Before his face could turn completely to gaze over, a clay cup with steaming liquid was presented in front of him. Grabbing it hesitantly, he asked, "What is this?"

"Boiled mint leaves. It'll help keep you awake" Without saying more, he went back over to sit on the bed, holding the extra cup he made for himself. After staring at his cup for a while deep in thought, he took a sip and then glanced up to see the demon take a sip before staring back down at his cup. With another moment of silence, Eial finally spoke. "I'm sorry."

Drokn stopped his hand midway from taking another sip before dawning a look of wary concern. "For what?"

Eial breathed in deeply before continuing. "I tried to force you to stay with me, and thinking back, that was selfish. I shouldn't have pushed my wishes onto you." He caressed the smooth sides of his cup. "And I'm sorry... that you can't be a prince because of your bond to me. But, perhaps! If you convinced the king that you are not with me, he'll let you—"

"Stop!" Drokn interrupted in irritation, his grip on the cup tightening to a point his veins became more prominent. "I was ruined the moment I came into elven territory, but that was the witch's fault. Anyway, the bastard's pestering was unbearable. If not this, he would have found another reason to send me away. So if I just overtake the crown—" A sinister smile crossed his face and his eyes widened in excitement as me slammed his cup onto the nearby table. "—then I'll be prince no matter his unwillingness!"

Eial lowered his cup down and faced the demon. "How do you overtake the crown?"

"Simple. I defeat him in battle. And then he has no right to refuse my demands."

"When do you plan to battle him?"

The demon thought for a moment. "I'll train for a while first. Learn new tricks! And then catch him off guard. Ah, I can just see his pitiful look. He wouldn't know what to do with how powerful I'll be!"

A small twinkle lit the elf's eyes. "May I help you train?"

One side of the demon's lips curled up. "That would be perfect." Noticing the elf lower his gaze, Drokn's frowned once more, his eyes narrow and his finger tapping on the rim of the cup. "Why don't you smile?"

Eial remained silent and looked to the side.

Huffing out a breath, Drokn set his cup on the nearby table. Walking over, he sat on the bed beside the elf. "It's weird when you don't smile." He took his hand and pinched one side of the elf's cheek, lifting it up. Unsatisfied, he took his other hand to pinch and lift the other side. "Pfft," he snorted with a satisfied half smile.

All the while, Eial stared wide at the demon with his brows turned up in confusion, unable to process his actions.

When the demon had enough, he let go and turned away, walking back towards his seat.

Rubbing his swollen cheeks, Eial felt baffled at the occurrence. But when his mind calmed down, a light snicker left his lips before he turned away to hide his face from showing more.