XVI. FIRST DATE

FIRST DATE!

NOVEMBER 1976

NOVEMBER 1976

6th Year

• • • •

Holland grinned, as she came bounding up to her friends at the Slytherin table, placing neatly wrapped, rectangle-shaped box in front of Maxine.

"Happy Birthday." The Irish girl said, sitting beside Regulus, across from Bronwyn and the birthday girl.

Maxine looked at the girl with a smile, "Thanks." She chuckled, unwrapping the present, taking out a scrapbook.

"It's a scrapbook with pictures from the milestones in our lives," Holland explained, as Maxine looked through the book with a smile, "I thought you could add onto it as time went on."

"I love it, thank you." Maxine told her friend, sincerely.

"You're very welcome." Holland said.

"I'm still annoyed that I have to spend my birthday in Charms class." Maxine said.

"You're always annoyed that you have Charms class." Bronwyn chuckled, her friends joining in.

"And you're good at it." Regulus added.

"At least we have it together." Holland shrugged, spreading jam on her toast.

***

Holland sat at her usual table in the library, writing her Defence Against the Dark Arts essay on animagi, when someone sat in the seat opposite her.

"I wanna take you on a date." Remus told the girl, making her raise an eyebrow, putting down her quill.

"What?" She asked.

"A date," Remus repeated, "And a proper one. Not in the Room of Requirement, not as a secret. But a proper date. In Hogsmeade."

"Remus, you know we can't-"

"I know," The boy cut her off, "That's why it won't be in Hogsmeade, per say, but the forest surrounding it."

Holland bit her lip, pondering the idea for a moment, before grinning, "Alright."

"Really?" Remus asked with a bright smile, which was Holland's favourite sight.

The Slytherin nodded, "Really."

"Brilliant," Remus smiled, looking around, before kissing Holland's cheek and standing up, "Meet me at the path to Hogsmeade at eleven o'clock on Saturday."

"See you then, Romeo."

"See you then, Juliet."

***

Remus wrapped his Gryffindor scarf tighter around his neck on a cold November afternoon, checking his watch, seeing that it was quarter-past-eleven, looking around for a certain Slytherin.

"I am so sorry," Holland apologised, running up to him, "This morning was hectic. Maxine was taking even longer to get ready than usual, and then I had to spend twenty minutes explaining to Max, Bron and Reggie that I wanted to stay and work on Quidditch plays. And even after that they still took forever to leave."

Remus chuckled at the breathless girl, "It's okay. I'm just glad you came."

Holland smiled at Remus, as they started the short walk to Hogsmeade, making sure not to walk too close together, looking like two students walking separately, mind their own business.

"You know, I'm starting to get a bit better at lying to my friends," Holland mused, "I think you've had a bad influence on me, Mr Lupin."

"So it seems, Miss Lux." The boy smirked at her.

The pair moved closer together, as they approached Hogsmeade, slipping into the forest, undetected, eventually holding each other's gloved hand.

"I love this forest." Holland smiled, she and Remus stepping over a large tree branch.

"Here," Remus said, as he stopped walking, Holland doing the same as she watched the Gryffindor take out his wand, waving it at the ground, before a picnic appeared in front of them.

"Remus." Holland said, grinning up at the boy.

"Do you like it?" He asked, nervously.

"I love it." Holland told him, standing on her toes and kissing him.

"Great." Remus smiled, before they both sat down on the red and white chequered blanket.

"Let me guess," Holland smirked as he reached into the picnic basket, "Chocolate?"

Remus blushed, taking out the confectionary item, and Holland giggled at him.

"I packed sandwiches, too." Remus mumbled, taking out the said food.

"You're incredible, Remus." Holland smiled and the boy shook his head.

"I'm really not."

"Oh, but you are," Holland countered, "You are that and so much more."

Remus' face turned a deeper shade of red, as he saw the girl shiver.

"Are you cold?" He questioned.

"Oh, no, I'm fine." Holland lied, shaking her head.

"You be getting better at lying to your friends, but I can see right through you," Remus chuckled, as it was Holland's turn to blush as Remus took off and handed the girl his scarf, wrapping it snugly around his neck, "There."

The pair smiled at each other, and Remus swallowed nervously.

"Can I, uh, can I ask you something."

"Anything."

"Will you, uh, would you like to, um, I mean, do you want to-"

Holland giggled, cutting him off, as he blushed furiously, "Yes, Remus, I would love to be your girlfriend."

"Brilliant," Remus breathed out, grinning, "Does that mean I can kiss you now?"

Holland smiled at her boyfriend, "You can always kiss me, Romeo."

Remus grinned, leaning in and placing a delicate kiss on her oh so familiar lips.

"I guess the first date was a success."

"Indeed."