[0.1]

Chapter One - Humble Beginnings

*Genevieve*

It was nearing sunset in Paris, France. The sky was illuminated with vibrant yellows and oranges that gave the city a warm glow. The city residents happily showed off their wealth. Pearls and other fine jewels hung from the necks of beautiful, young women. Carriages carried the ultra-rich, the sound of their footmen racing about yelling filling the already noisy streets, while they laughed happily and talked loudly about the latest gossip.

In 1723 there wasn't much to gossip about, the biggest news that was being talked about was the new king. 

For me, I was still happily celebrating my 21st birthday with my good friend, Eléonore, who was happily walking alongside me as we strolled through the street of Paris. Our cheerful voices echoed off the tall buildings, while our glittering jewels hung around our necks, showing off to the rest of the town where we both sat on the ever-important social ladder.

"J'ai entendu dire par un petit oiseau que tu vas à la fête demain. Est-ce vrai?" Eléonore asked, her icy blue eyes looking over my face. [I heard from a little bird that you are going to the party tomorrow. Is it true?]

I let out a little sigh as I thought about the party, knowing that Mother was already planning which other noble families that we would talk to when we arrived.

"Oui... oh s'il vous plaît dites-moi que vous y allez aussi!" I said, giving her a pleading look. [Yes...oh please tell me that you're going as well!]

She gave me a smile and happily nodded her head, her eyes shimmering with excitement. "Oui!"
[Yes!]

We both let out a sigh of relief knowing that we have at least one person, who we liked, at the party to talk to. 

We both knew why we were going to the party, our parents attempt to arrange a marriage between the other noble houses of France. We were supposed to arrive and charm our way into a marriage. That was how it was done in the past, and that is how it will continue to be done for the foreseeable future.

______________________

As I finished getting dressed, I sat down on the end of my bed and quickly slipped on my shoes before standing back up and walking around my room, my heels tapping on the wooden floors, as I made my way toward my dresser.

I paused, standing in front of my dresser and opening my jewelry box, looking down at it for a second before running my hand carefully over the multitude of glittering necklaces, bracelets, and earrings that had been so carefully placed inside. 

With some mindless care, I picked up one of my most elegant and expensive necklaces and placed it on my neck, clasping it closed. The cold metal made me shiver slightly as it fell against my skin.

I took a second, staring at myself in the mirror before continuing to get ready, adding a few rings to my long thin fingers, which I inherited from my mother