Chapter Two: Woes of Babyhood

Being a baby is harder than what most would think. Most of my days were spent sleeping, eating and suppressing the urge to cry. All bits of information I could get were by word of mouth. But I was able to confirm that I was living in the Vosta Empire, the fictional Kingdom that held both knights and magic. I still needed a lot more information to figure out the story's timeline.

If only I could get my hands on a couple of books. Yet nevertheless, I could barely move. Hell, trying to flip over was hard enough. I needed to train my body as soon as I was capable, I didn't suffer twenty plus years in my past to be reduced to malleable squishy flesh once more.

Though I won't lie, it's been nice not having to wake up to the drill sergeant schedule I was so accustomed to.

In the past nobody really paid any attention to Ginerva Taylor. Nothing I did was considered impressive enough. In fact, the feats that I did manage to complete were held as expectations. But things were different here.

With a horde of servants and one peculiar nanny, they had their eyes on me constantly. Oohing and ahhing over how smart I was. I mean, it's not like I was doing anything too out of the norm for a baby. Or at least that's how it seemed from my perspective.

My mom - well, mother was the one that spent the most time with me. She coddled me against my will and doted on me to the most extraordinary lengths that I couldn't help but be embarrassed.

"She doesn't seem to cry much does she Greta?"

If only I could nod my head but alas, the weight of it was too much and I knew I didn't have enough of a spine yet to move about on my own.

"The young missus is good natured unlike her brothers," Greta remarked fondly.

My mother placed me against her shoulder, patting me on the back awaiting for the familiar sounds of a gassy burp to exit my mouth. It was nasty business but I guess all babies went through it. I was just lucky enough not to remember the first time around.

"Indeed, Silvain had quite a temper as a baby but mellowed out now while Lawrence, that boy was so sweet ... alas, he's taken upon some mischievous habits," Greta sighed, shaking her head but a smile still remained upon her old wrinkly features.

"The two used to always fight but whenever they see Aveline, they stop their nonsense almost immediately." Mother chuckled.

"No doubt the young miss is lovely and sweet that her brothers can't help but adore her."

Greta wasn't wrong.

If I could keep track of the time that had passed, it was almost nine months since I was born and whenever the two pretty boys showed up, they'd cease their bickering and would watch me from my cradle. I knew in the original novel the De Bourbon family was written to be a rather disorderly household. Aveline's personality was depicted as a spoiled brat that got on the nerves of her brothers. I mean, to be honest most of her purpose in the novel was to act as the third wheel to the romance of Rosalina and Prince Theopold. It didn't help that her behavior made her sound like a whiny idiot. Her brothers were cold toward her and didn't trust or believe her since most of her past time was spent scheming. And they were also fond of the protagonist who (in retrospect) if I reread parts of the story sounded like one hell of a Mary Sue.

My own personality was hardly comparable to that of the beautiful but frivolous antagonist. I spent my last life skimping money by harshly budgeting my paychecks so that I'd have some savings. And yet, all of that had gone to waste. Life's truly a struggle no matter how many times it comes around.