fool's gold

a/n hiiiii :)

23.
TWO MONTHS LATER

I see him sitting at the back of the coffee shop and I grin. He glances up at me and lets out a small, excited wave. My coffee in hand, I make my way over to his table.

"Hey, Quinn," he says.

"Jack," I nod. "It's really good to see you."

"You too."

My eyes wander around the coffee shop, and I suddenly remember, this is where I ran into Wes that one time during NYFW. I glance back at the cash register, a small smile dancing across my face when I think about the footage of it on Cherry. The old machine whirring and clicking with each transaction. I play with the cherry keychain dangling from her side. She's sitting next to me on the chair.

"So," Jack begins, taking a sip of his coffee. "You're becoming quite a hot commodity in the music video industry," he perks his eyebrows playfully. I laugh and shake my head.

"I suppose a little," I shrug. "Which is interesting to me as only one project I've worked on is officially released."

"But word of mouth travels fast, just because those projects aren't public doesn't mean people haven't seen them," he smiles. He's talking about France. Even now when I think back to it, that week of filming feels surreal. I have to remind myself that I didn't make it up. France was nice. I should go back to France.

"Does that mean you've watched it?" I drink my coffee and sit back. He nods.

"The rough cut anyway, it's incredible," he melts a little at the word, like he's thinking back. "You're going to really make it in this industry, you're right on the brink. It's going to happen, I can just see it."

I feel a surge in my chest as my cheeks heat up a little. "Thank you," I stutter. He nods enthusiastically.

"I genuinely mean that. You've got such a fresh perspective and unique eye. And the talent I mean," he throws his hands up for dramatic effect which attracts a few looks from other customers.

It feels really good to be back in New York. I've been back for almost two months now, and I can feel the city seeping back in, rejuvenating me. Of course the first few days were awful. As soon as I hit the tarmac coming home, my stomach plummeted with the weight of everything that had happened. The moments of tension between Harry and me, sleeping with Jack, the vulnerability, the tattoo, the photographs from the restaurant.

I saw them on a tabloid a couple of weeks ago at a gas station. The words 'WHO'S THE NEW GIRL?' were written across the front cover in bright yellow letters. My hair glowed blue, practically popping off the page.

I stared at that magazine as I waited in line to buy a bag of funyuns

I stared at that magazine as I waited in line to buy a bag of funyuns. Finally I flipped it over to hide the cover, bought the bag, and sprinted out of the station.