Tell Me You Didn't Feel Anything

Sokka had been watching Rein for a few minutes

Sokka had been watching Rein for a few minutes. He wanted nothing more than to call out to her the second he laid his eyes on her but she seemed deep in thought. He watched with hearts in his eyes as she twirled around the forest, giggles pouring out of her mouth like music to his ears. Sokka was drawn to Kireina like water was to the shore. He adored every aspect of her. Her humor, her sass, her courage and strength- all of which made him fall harder.

After finally making his presence known to her, she said his name like he had never heard it before. Goosebumps coated his skin and a chill ran down his spine. Sokka's heart practically stopped beating as his name passed her lips.

Kireina's eyes welled up with tears as Sokka's voice filled her ears. Right when she needed someone most, Sokka always appeared. She caught him off guard by charging into him, wrapping her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist.

"You have the most perfect timing, Sok." Rein whispered in his ear. Sokka's heart began to race a million miles a minute as he held Kireina in his embrace. Out of the times they've shared a heartfelt hug, this one felt different. She grabbed him tighter than ever before and burrowed her face into his neck, letting her tears drench his skin.

"Kireina, what happened? Are you okay?" Sokka asked, pulling his head away to see her face. "Why are you crying? Am I just that handsome?"

Rein cracked a smile and slid off of the Water Tribe boy. A blush painted her cheeks as Sokka wiped her tears away with his thumbs. He was visibly concerned about her but waited patiently for her to explain what was wrong.

She fiddled with Sokka's fingers, at one point placing his large hand against her cheek and nuzzling into it. With his free hand, Sokka combed her long dark hair away from her tear stained skin and tucked it gently behind her ears. Rein continued to sniffle and bite her lip to prevent sobs from escaping her throat.

It was like the second she saw Sokka, everything that had occured over the past few days overwhelmed her senses. She was denied by the person she loved and instead of accepting that, she responded with an irrational rage. Rein not only lost Zuko but harmed him as well and yet she still felt the need to return to him.

"I ran away." She finally uttered.

"For real this time?" Sokka questioned, raising his eyebrows in surprise. Rein nodded in response. "What did he do to you?"

"I told him that I was falling in love with him and he rejected me." She truthfully told him. There was no point in lying to Sokka at this point.

Jealousy ran through Sokka like never before. His teeth grit together and fists formed at his sides. He already knew that Rein felt strongly towards Zuko considering she voluntarily ran back to him on multiple occasions- but to actually hear her say her feelings for him out loud? It cut him deep. "That's what led you to run away? The physical abuse was tolerable but the rejection wasn't?"