Season 1: Chapter 13

Season 1

Chapter 13

The hunting competition. A one-time festival for the nobles each year. Many ladies are hoping for it for them to become the lady of the hunt. Thus, the man who hunts the animal to be hunted will receive a kiss from the lady he offers with and will receive a reward from the king.

Earlier than I expected, the day of the hunting competition arrived. Normally, it will be a month or two but it only took two weeks since Ruvia mentioned it that day. I know not the reason but I think the king may have been eager to do it.

“Should I go... or not?” I mumbled. Napabuntong-hininga ako.

Gusto ko pa sana na huwag muna na lumabas at makilahok sa mga pagtitipon. It will be tiring to know more people again. Sofia is also giving me continuous invitations to her house but I only went there once again to make her believe that she really became close to me. Ruvia did not invite me again after I just showed her my arrogant side. Hindi ko muna siya ipinagwalang-bahala. I know she will invite me again to her abode sooner or later.

“What are you talking about, my lady? Of course, you should go. You will surely be the star once you go there.” Hilda gave me a smug smile with her twinkling eyes.

“I know, Hilda, but I might be bored there.” Napabuntong-hininga ako. I put my chin in my palm.

“Nonsense, my lady! You need to show your ephemeral beauty and show that you are the rightful lady of the hunt.” She exclaimed in excitement.

“But---”

“My lady.” Hilda cut me off and gave me a frightening smile that made my hair stood up. “Please stand up and let me make you extraordinarily beautiful.” Her body shook. Kaunting napakunot ang aking noo sa kanyang reaksiyon.

“H-Hilda, you are frightening.” My lips formed a small smile.

Is this the same Hilda I know? She is so overwhelming!

“Not at all, my lady.” After her declaration, I suffered through hours of hellish preparations for the hunt. I opened my eyes and examined myself in front of the mirror.

The white dress really complimented my black hair . The hair accessories had emeralds embedded in it and it suited the color of eyes.

Napahawak ako sa aking mukha. 

“I really am beautiful.” I blurted. Hilda gave me a smug look for the pride of her making me more presentable and elegant.

“Alam ko. Even if you boast it, it still doesn’t look like it. In fact, you are too beautiful to be true, my lady.” Malaki ang ngiti niya habang sinasabi iyon.

“Mmm... so, how are you and Davidron progressing these days?” Namilog ang maga mata niya at namula. She shyly smiled.

“I feel like we became more closer than before. He is also being open and more talkative now.” Napangiti ako at napatango sa kanyang sinabi.

“Good for you.” For now, I am glad they they became closer. I also need Davidron to distance himself from me a bit. Though I do not know if his feelings for me will slowly fade away if I did that. Still, I would just like us to remain as a master-knight relationship. 

A knock from the door and my brother showed up. May pag-aalala siyang tumingin sa akin.

“Sister, do you have to go?” He said in a gentle manner.

“Yes, Alluis. Sorry if I cannot bring you with me.” Under normal circumstances, I would have let him go with me but that place is flocking with men. Alluis will just be annoyed if he go there.

“It’s okay but always keep your knight with you. Don’t go anywhere without your knight. Be careful of those greedy wolves, Sister.” I smiled to gave him an assurance.

“I know, Alluis.” He pouted.

“Please, be safe, Sister.” He warned before leaving my room. Mabilis pa sa dekwatrong tumila kami papunta sa lugar na pangyayarihan. We were easily surrounded by onlooking nobles.

They may have saw our family crest in the carriage, that is why.

Agad silang yumuko sa akin nang makababa ako. I just gave them a look. Hindi ako ang-abalang ngumiti pa sa kanila. There are those few brave people who attempted to come near me but Davidron turned them away as per my instructions. We headed straight to the tent our knights built before we arrived here.

“Do not let any unfamiliar faces pass.” I pointed and ordered him. He eagerly agreed and nodded. Hilda helped me to be comfortable inside the tent while Davidron is guarding outside. Ruvia came to my tent a little after that. She was also wearing a light colored dress that matched her ashen hair.

“Greetings from the House Estevan.” She greeted. “I hope you have been well, Arisia.” Mahina akong napabuntong-hininga at napataas ng kaunti ang kilay.

Here goes a bother. Why did she come here?

“Thank you for the concern, Ruvia. I hope it is the same for you.” Dahan-dahan akong tumayo at binati siya. Iginaya ko siya sa kabilang upuan at naupo kami.

“Yes, it is. We have not been in touch for days, right? I am sorry, I was busy.” She sighed. My head tilted a bit and my eyes squinted.

Busy in your dark, past times?

“Do not worry about it since I am the same. I even hesitated to come here because I was busy. Naalala ko lang na kailangan ko din na makilahok sa mga pangyayaring ganito.” I lied.

I am not that busy, I was just lazy.

“That’s a relief. I thought you were mad.” She gave me a small smile. Tahimik akong napasinghal.

Lie. I know she ignored me on purpose. Akala niya siguro ay magtatampo ako kahit kaunti ngunit nagkakamali siya. I am not the type to linger around hoping for expectations, despite how evil I look.

Napunta ang aming usapan tungkol sa mga manlalahok sa paligsahan.

The expected winner is the second prince, Heiden Fins Ronschwald. There were also some strong participants but as I expected, the male lead reigns the most.

“Do you want to make a bet?” Napukaw ang aking atensiyon sa kanyang mga sinabi. My eyes squinted.

A bet? I am sure she is just up to nowhere good.

“What is it, Ruvia?”

“We will take a guess on who will gonna hunt the prey.” Napangisi ako.

“How interesting.” Komento ko.

“If I win the bet, you will gave me your maid.” My eyes sharpened. Hindi nawala ang ngisi sa aking mukha. Na-alerto rin si Hilda sa narinig. I gave her a meaningful glance in secret. She nodded a bit and reassured me a smile. Napatingin muli ako kay Ruvia.

She must be planning to torture Hilda in a slow way and not letting her die. Hah! She really is a psychopath. Why not just go straight to me?

“Sure.” Namilog ng kaunti ang kanyang mga mata sa aking sinabi.

What? Was she not expecting that?

The side of her lips rose up a bit. “If I win, give me three of your assets or businesses.” She stood up as a retort when she heard my answer.

“What is wrong, Ruvia? I thought you expected that. You see, Hilda is of use to me. You can at least give me some of your assets if I am betting my Hilda, right?” She pressed her lips against each other. “Or is the money and connections of House Estevan declining that you cannot even give that to me?’’ Napatawa ako at umiling. “That cannot be true, right, Ruvia?” I gave her a meaningful smile.

I feel like an evil entity. It does not really matter since she was the one who provoked me first.

“Hah, I did not really expected that, Arisia.” Diin niya sa aking pangalan at umupo ulit. Her eyes closed as she sips on the tea in front of us. “I cannot go back to my word anymore since I was the one who proposed the bet first. Fine. I guess it will be the second prince.” Sagot niya. Napangisi ako dahil sa huli niyang sagot.

She took the bait! I knew she would go for him since she is really obsessed with him. In the book, Heiden did not participate and it was just revealed after the hunt started. The reason is because of the female lead, Snow, who still does not know his identity as a prince. Kung alam niya ang totoong pagkatao nito ay maaari siyang makapunta rito. She may have been the lady of the hunt if that were to happen. In the end, it was Lorves who hunted the wild, big boar with his amazing swordsmanship and trained archery.

I scoffed.

“Then for me, it will be Duke of House Kallon.” Her forehead creased.

“You are not going for the second prince?”

“You already put your faith in him. I need someone outstanding for us to call it a bet.” Napangisi siya.

“You’re right. I was not thinking of that.” Seconds later, the loud and repeated voice of the announcer was heard throughout the area.

“The Royal family has arrived! The Royal family has arrived!” Agad kaming lumabas at nagbigay-galang.

“Raise your heads.” An authoritative, high voice sent chills in my spine. Napatayo ang aking balahibo.

It was obvious that it was the king who said that. Even the way he speaks distinguishes him as the king.

We raised our heads and looked in front of us. Napataas ang aking tingin upang masulyapan ang nakatataas na pamilya. They were already seated in their respected seats. Nang tingnan ko si Rionsky ay nakatulala lang ito sa akin. He immediately looked away after that. Pilyo akong ngumisi.

He look so dashing in his royalty clothes. Before, he was disguised in formal clothes but what he is wearing right now fits the best. I cannot stop praising him and I know I will not get tired of it.

Beside him are the king, queen, and the second prince.

The King, Obius Storm Ronschwald, is an old man. Despite that, his good looks are still visible. His hair may have turned white but some are still green. It looks like Rionsky inherited his hair color from his father. Matalas ang tingin nito at parang siya ang tipo na mahirap lapitan.

The Queen, beside him, is a very beautiful woman. Her smooth and clear face did not even matched her age. Her makeup is heavy but it is not sickly to look at all. It actually made the impression of her being a strong and dominative woman. Puti na rin ang kanyang buhok at walang halatang ibang kulay. It seems like white is her hair’s original color.

Next to her is the second prince. Finally, I am seeing the male lead with my own eyes.

My lips formed a straight line.

Unlike Rionsky, Heiden has a scary look in his face. I think his features can be more attractive when he smile. Mukhang nakuha niya rin ang kanyang maliwanag at berdeng buhok mula sa hari. He really fits the description of ruthless and unforgiving. Not offending Heiden, Rionsky is more superior than him.

I scoffed.

The female lead is so lucky that Heiden only smiles at her. I wish I could also have a man like that.

Tumalikod na ako nang masuri na sila. I was easily surrounded by most participants and they gave their declarations and pledges that they will surely hunt the boar for me. What I expected was Lorves mixing in with them. I handed out my hand. Hinalikan niya ang likod ng aking kamay nang banayad.

It was nothing like when he first met me. I guess this is him now that we are friends. He is like a completely different person if it were not for his unchanging blank expression.

“I will surely bring back the boar and offer it to you.” Lorves dashingly said. He lifted his head, only for me to look his gentle eyes.

“I will wait for it.” Ngumiti ako sa kanya. I heard the murmurs of the others around me.

They must be seething with envy and irritations. It is a surprise, really because he never once had a lady to offer to. More like, he refuses to.

My gaze simply wandered. Dumako ito sa nakoronahang prinsipe na namimilog ang mga mata. He also looked surprised.

What is up with him?

Binigyan ko lang siya ng kunot sa noo at tumabingi.

The hunt started when the trumpet sounded. The others hurriedly departed hoping to hunt the prey first. Lorves gave me a nod before going in the forest.

“W-What? The second prince is not joining?” Ruvia exclaimed. Napatingin kami kay Heiden na nakaupo lang at parang walang interes sa pakikilahok. I smirked.

Like Lorves, he also joins the hunt every year but he did not offered once to a lady.

Napatingin ako kay Ruvia. She had the doomed expression in her face.

That must have been a blow to her. Now, she will have no choice but to surrender some of her assets or businesses to me or she will be branded as a scum and her pride will be crushed. I know she will not allow it.

Minutes passed by since then, it was pretty boring like what I expected. Staying in my tent, talking with the ladies, and staring at an open space. I was thankful for Lorves for catching the boar in less than an hour. Now, I will be able to go home in a quick.

“You deserve the title of the lady of the hunt, Arisia. Napangiti lamang ako sa sinabi ni Lorves nang makalapit ito at ibigay ang brilyante na natanggap niya sa akin mula sa hari. He kissed the back of my hand again. When he looked up to me, I saw him gave me a gentle, soft smile. Napaawang ang aking bibig.

What was that? Who knew he could also smile like that?

Umalis rin siya sa aking tabi at pumunta sa tabi ng nakoronahang prinsipe. I was surrounded by the ladies, telling me that I was fortunate. Ngiti lamang ang aking sumbat. Muli akong napatingin kay Rionsky. He is talking with Lorves about something. Iniwas ko agad ang aking tingin at bumalik sa aming pwesto.

I came home with a little emptiness after that. I do not know why is that so but it does not feel pleasant.

Napabuntong-hininga ako.

I should not have had gone in the event. It was utterly boring and no fun at all.