Twenty Sixth

Just as things were supposedly moving smoothly, Elliot's blood went cold at the premonition of Dad chugging the beers had he not seen him. The most terrifying memory that still gave the boy the jitters was witnessing the drastic changes of his behavior after he finished the beers. The tears that decorated the face of once a hilarious father... was a paragon of someone going through so much suffering.

I just don't want to see Dad hurt anymore...

Since the time he caught him with bottles in his possession, the boy couldn't stop eyeing Dad and his actions, despite Mr. Zheng's presence. Moreover, his friend continued talking with Lawson as if the previous events never occurred... or maybe, he wasn't aware what actually happened behind the scene. Whatever it was, it was for the best to keep his mouth shut and never once discussed it, even during dinner.

The thoughts of his father potentially relapsing haunted him during the night, butchering his sleeping hours once again. The house had been mostly dead silent – sans the nature noises – which was supposed to be good news. Regardless, he found himself dreading the sounds of smashed glass, which kept him awake, though in the end, there was nothing.

Is Dad really gonna drink again? Well, I hope not, but why is he still having the beers in the fridge? He pondered, blankly zooming into nothing in particular. Maybe, he's really trying to throw them away...? If so... then he would just throw them without hiding it from me...

As the consequence of his restless mind, Elliot lost count on how many times he yawned and rubbed his drooping eyes when morning arrived. At this moment, he wished to be lying on his bed for the entire day, skipping school. However, at the passing thought of both Shanice and Andrew and their science project... he decided to push himself. I even said I'm gonna help them, so I'm not just gonna stay here!

Regardless, drowsiness had nearly taken over his consciousness several times, one of them being where he poured an excessive amount of milk into his cereal bowl. It would have flowed over if not for Dad butting in and stopping him. The other one was where he succumbed and ended up dozing off on the way to school. Subsequently, he was the last child to disembark the bus. 

Well, Dad seems to be normal during breakfast though. He didn't seem to be doing anything weird... as of now, but ugh... I should have slept last night... He mentally groaned. I just hope... Dad's not like that when I'm in school...

As he battled with his exhaustion, Elliot struggled concentrating throughout all of his classes. He watched as his teacher moved her lips to form words, but for no reason, he couldn't get hold of them as they were blurred out. Fortunately, repeated trips to the bathroom rejuvenated him to some extent, as he was able to wash the sleepiness away, although he was met with prolonged stares from both of his friends.

I'm sorry for worrying you guys...

Elliot was ultimately able to get a breath of fresh air as soon as the lunch bell rang, causing everyone to jump out of their seats, jumping so energetically. He let out a profound sigh as he began shoving his notes and stationeries into his bag, then was about to brush off his sweater when a presence loomed beside him.

"Elliot!" Shanice's stern voice startled her blonde friend, jolting him awake, "you've been going to the toilet... like so many times! What happened?"

"Yeah, and it's kinda odd..." Andrew undoubtedly sided with her, "I never saw you going back and forth like so many times."

"Oh um... well, I'm doing fine! I'm just washing my face so that I can stay awake or something," Elliot forced himself to laugh as the trio made their way out of their room, "I've been sleepy since this morning, so yeah..."