48| Weak

Chapter 48: Weak (Carter's POV)

I woke up way before her. Like way before her. It was the next day. Normally, I don't go to school when it's my mom's death anniversary, but I can't have her skip the entire day with me. It's four in the morning right now. I should slip out while I can. 

I slowly crept out of bed but she grabbed my wrist before I made it too far. "Where are you going?" she mumbled sleepily, her words coming out in slurs. 

"To the bathroom," I lied. 

"No," she pouted before pulling me back down. I sighed but lay back nonetheless while she scooted closer and rested her head on my chest. "Don't even think about sneaking out," she whispered and then dozed back off, taking me with her. 

I woke up hours after that to her already missing from my side. I rubbed my eyes open and saw her peeking out from the bathroom with her toothbrush in her mouth. "Hi," she mumbled, toothpaste all over her lips. 

"Beautiful," I laughed. 

She rolled her eyes with a smile and went back inside, coming out moments later with a washed face and brushed teeth. She crawled back over to me and lay down. "I love waking up to you in the mornings, you look all cute and confused," she giggled, lying down on top of me, resting her chin on my chest. 

I chuckled, resting my arm over my eyes. 

"Why were you trying to sneak off this morning?" she asked hesitantly. 

"Uh- normally, I don't go to school on this date. I just didn't want to make you skip either. I thought I'd leave and then get you after school," I explained. 

"I'm staying with you," she frowned. 

"You can't miss school," I said. 

"Sure I can. You can't make me go," she sang. I sighed in defeat while my arm rested around her waist, my fingers drawing lazy circles on her lower back. "Do you want anything to eat? I was gonna go make french toast," she said. 

"I'll take french toast," I replied. She climbed off of me and went downstairs while I went to brush my teeth. I sighed while staring at myself in the mirror. 

God, I hate today. 

I usually spend the entire day crying. I don't want to do that around her. I don't want her to think I'm weak. I went downstairs and stood behind her. 

"Are you feeling okay? I'm sorry if you don't like people asking that," she said. 

I put my arms around her and rested my chin on her shoulder, tilting my face to look at her. "It's okay, you can ask," I mumbled, "I'm okay. I think," I answered. 

She turned to look at me and pressed a kiss to my cheek. "I love you," she said. 

"I love you," I replied. After breakfast, we hung around her place for a little longer, and then when it turned noon, it was time. I slipped into my clothes from last night and she got dressed and we walked to my house first. We went inside and I saw the flowers. I order flowers every year. I went upstairs and quickly changed before coming back down. 

She was grazing the flowers with her fingers with a sad smile on her face. I walked over and picked up the bouquet. I grabbed my keys as well and led her out. We got in the car and I drove us out to the cemetery we had her buried in. I remember her funeral being the most of our families have ever argued. 

Her parents wanted her buried in California, where they lived. Dad wants her buried here, where we lived. I wanted her in California because I don't want to stay in New York. I never did. I was just here because my dad was. Eventually, I want to go back home, just like Alex does. At least after high school. I parked the car and turned to Alex first.