Like Father Like Son

{Kouki's pov}{time rewind-in car ride home}

I stayed tied up in the front seat of my father's car. My breathing was unsteady the whole time. My father stayed silent while I hyperventilated beside him. I would occasionally scream and start kicking but dad stayed silent and kept driving. I soon would tire myself out but once I got my energy back the tantrums started again. I kept doing this until we arrived home.

Dad pulled me out of the car and practically dragged me inside. I squirmed in his grasp but it was no use. His grip was tight on my arm. He threw me on couch and sat across from me. He kept me tied up but took off my gag. "GET AWAY FROM ME YOU MONSTER!!" I immediately screamed and began kicking.

Mom heard my yelling and quickly walked into the room. She gasped and dropped to her knees. I ignored her and continued yelling and cursing at the devil. My father just stayed silent and took every insult. Eventually I tired myself out and my sobs were the only thing to be heard.

"Honey," my father said, talking to my mother. "Hm," was what she replied with. My mother was never big on words so it was nice to see that she didn't change much. She still had heavy bags under her eyes so that also didn't change. "Will you make us some tea?" My father asked. Mom nodded and walked to the kitchen.

My father turned to me. "Damn," he said. "I can't get over the fact that you look so much like me," he silently chuckled to himself. Those words hurt. It hurt because they were true. I hated looking in the mirror because all I saw was my father staring back at me. The only difference about us was that I was obviously younger and he was more buff then I.

"What have you been up to?" My father asked, trying so desperately to break the awkwardness. I didn't want to talk so I stayed silent. My father sighed and asked, "Kouki, what happened to you that night?" I knew exactly what he meant. He meant the night he sent me off to kidnap a woman. I still didn't say anything.

Mom walked in the room with a tray in hand. On it contained a tea set. She placed the kit on the coffee table and immediately handed out our cups. I stared at mom for a while. I really did miss her. I regret leaving her here all by herself and I hope she can learn to forgive me.

Dad untied me then cuffed one of my legs to the couch so I couldn't escape. I took my tea and put some milk and sugar in it. I bring the cup to my lips with my shaky hands. I could feel my father staring at me. The warm liquid poured down my throat. It felt nice considering I was yelling my lungs out for at least an hour.

"Now can we talk?" My father asked. I cleared my throat and put on my well behaved butler act. "You may," I say gently. Dad repeated his question, "what happened that night?" He had pleading eyes. He seemed scared. "I ran away," I say as I shrug and I take another sip of my tea. "I don't get it, I thought we were a happy family," my father said, digging for answers.

I let out a soft but kind chuckle, "what can I say, I'm a fabulous actor." My father massaged his temples and sunk further into the couch. I could tell that he was trying to wrap his head around the whole situation. "Mother, this tea is absolutely incredible. Thank you for preparing it," I say as I squint my eyes, tilt my head, and give a soft smile. Mom seemed taken aback by my words. She then gave me a genuine smile which was strange. I've never seen mom smile before. It was fantastic look on her.

After dad had time to think, he shifted his head to look in my direction. He looked at me for a hot minute then said, "why weren't you happy?" I was a little annoyed by his cluelessness. Did he really not know? I don't want to say it aloud. The wounds were still too fresh. I let out a shaky sigh but quickly covered it up with a smile, "you can't be that clueless, can you?"