Chapter 21: Guilt Only Extends So Far

Matteo Giovanni POV:

I trudge back up the cellar stairs, annoyance coursing through my body like adrenaline.

She refused to apologise to me, what makes her think she has the right? She stabbed me, she hurt me, and I know she feels guilt and remorse. I can see it in her eyes, she was just about to say sorry, and then she didn't.

Something is holding her back. I need to figure out what it is so I can break her in, mould her, teach her to be mine, and accept being mine.

Her face is beginning to grow hollow, despite it being only two days since she ate. I feel bad, I feel terrible for denying her food, or a bed for her to sleep on, but she needs to learn. She needs to taste what it is going to be like for her if she doesn't just accept her fate.

I clench my fists. I feel awful. The past two days have been the most agonising two days i have ever experienced. Knowing that she is down there, just within my reach. I want to treat her, to spoil her rotten. I want her to know how much I want her. How much I want her to be happy.

Oh god.

What have I done?

I want her to be happy, but I have locked her down in the cellar with the prisoners, most of whom are decaying and dying. I want her to be happy, yet I'm denying her happiness.

My body is livid. I am such an idiot, blinded by my possessiveness.

Once I've reached the top of the stairs, I look back to see the gaze of Alistair. He is one of my best assassins. The man who killed Fredric for me. He's staying in my house for the time being with his pregnant wife while their place is renovated, which leaves me to boss him around whenever I want.

"I want you to go grab pillows and blankets, and take them down to Mia straight away." I command.

"Sure thing." Alistair says as he heads towards the laundry room where all of the pillows, blankets and household necessities are kept.

Rubbing my temples, trying to ease my headache, I head back towards my office. I do feel better knowing that Mia will no longer be so uncomfortable. Despite this change in heart, i still will be leaving her down there for another two days, because she does need to learn, but from then on, i will try to make her as comfortable as possible.

As difficult as that may be though, when she has such a disrespectful attitude, and is still prone to running away...

Maybe Alistair's wife; Hailey can make her feel more at home. It would do good for Mia to talk to another woman, and maybe when Hailey has her baby, I can introduce Mia to the idea of us starting a family.

Taking a seat in my chair, I look into my monitor, where I have surveillance of Mia in the cellar. Despite having night-vision cameras, it's still difficult to see her beautiful features, but I stare as she is curled up in the corner of the room.

I once again have the feeling of guilt wash across me, but it is quickly gone as I see Alistair arrive with the pillows and blankets, handing them to her through the bars. Mia stands, hesitantly and reaches for the pillows and blankets from a distance.

She looks terrified.

As quickly as he appeared, Alistair leaves, and Mia settles in the corner once again, placing the pillows down on the ground and huddling up on top of them, with the blanket wrapped around her tiny frame.

She looks so innocent, I could stare at her all day.

I'm interrupted from the screen as someone barges into the room. "Sir, my apologies for interrupting, but i have urgent news."

My head snaps up to one of my men; Richard. "This better be worth my time, or you'll be wishing i never employed you."

"Sir, two of our men were intercepted at the 'Circle' club, after deleting all security footage and records of you and Mia attending." Richard says. I don't notice as his body shakes slightly, intimidated at my glare.

"Intercepted by who?" I roar as I stand from my desk approaching Richard.

"We are unsure at the moment, but one of their men was shot by one of ours."

"Fuck!" I yell. "What part of me saying, 'do not engage under any circumstance' did they not understand?"

"If they hadn't fired, they wouldn't have been able to erase the records or get out without being seen."

This problem has just increased my head ache by tenfold, and I feel like at any moment I could just pass out at the sheer exhaustion my anger is causing me.

"I want the men who were responsible for this mess in my office within the next three minutes. And after you've brought them here, i want you to collate a file on everything that happened, and find out exactly who came looking." I ordered, turning my back to him as I heard him run from the room.

Why the hell are there people looking for Mia? My report didn't lie when it stated that she has minimal friends and family, maybe something was missed out. I swear to god, if there is some in her life who i don't know about, i don't know what the fuck i'm gong to do.

Me taking Mia wasn't supposed to be a problem. She was easy, almost too easy. It was like destiny that she had been placed in front of me by Dante that fateful day.

I'll be damned if I let her go so easily.

Taking a seat back in my chair, I look once again at Mia who has fallen asleep, bundled up in the blankets. She looks almost as if she's become a pillow, blending into her surroundings.

I don't know if i'll be able to keep her down there for the next two days, but i have to keep my word, otherwise she'll think i'm not a man of my word.

Within the next minute, two of my men come running into my office, closing the door behind them.

At least their punishment will take my mind off of things.

-------------------------------------------------------
Yo!
How are you guys? Anyone got anything interesting happening in their lives lately? Thank you again for reading, commenting and voting! Please vote if you enjoyed this chapter!
-FoggyCloudyWords