Chapter 27 - I think I'm going to be sick.

Lucy's POV

As I sit here, watching the clock tick down from 00:32:57, I feel more scared than I ever have done before in my life. A steady stream of tears trickle down my cheeks as I begin to silently count down in time with the clock, knowing that there's no way I'm getting out of this.

I probably look like shit, but it doesn't really matter now, because in just over half an hour I'll be dead. I can't escape, I've tried everything. My wrists feel red raw from the amount of effort I put into trying to get these ropes off, but it's no use.

Nobody knows where I am. Even if they've realised that I'm missing by now they won't get here in time. Kailen knew exactly what he was doing by bringing me here, nobody will suspect it. They'll go to the forbidden land and look for me there and, by the time they've realised that that's not where they're keeping me, I'll already be dead. Kailen will have killed me, here in town, in my old room in my old house. It's kind of an ingenious plan when you think about it, I decide bitterly.

00:30:00

Oh, God. Half an hour. I have half an hour left to live. Kailen will be back soon, I bet. And then... it'll all be over.

I wonder how he'll do it. Maybe he'll rip my throat out like he did with my mum, or snap my neck like he did to my dad, who knows? Whatever he does, I just hope that it's quick and painless. It probably won't be, though.

A sob rips through my chest and escapes from my mouth.

This is it. This is really it! Nobody's going to come for me, and there's no way I can escape on my own... this is really how it's all going to end.

00:28:47

I close my eyes and bow my head, feeling a fresh set of tears escape down my cheeks and drip onto my jeans.

I'm going to die. I don't want to die!

No, I tell myself and shake my head. This is not how it's going to be. If I'm really going to die, then I'm going to do it with as much dignity as I can.

Raising my head and opening my eyes, I force the tears back.

00:27:43

Kailen can do whatever the hell he likes with me, but I will give him as little satisfaction about it as possible. I have to be strong.

Suddenly, a loud crash sounds from downstairs, followed by some muffled shouting.

Kailen must be back, I realise, and take a deep breath to keep myself as calm as possible. My time really is almost up...

Another loud crash sounds and I frown in confusion.

What's going on down there?

Two more crashes and three loud bangs later, everything falls silent again.

00:23:47

The sound of footsteps running up the stairs causes me to freeze, and I stare at the door with the most paralyzing feeling of dread inside of me.

He's back. He's here. He's going to kill me. I'm going to die!

No. No, no, no, no! Please, god, please just let me wake up! This isn't real, this can't be happening!

The sound of the door from the room next to mine opening has my ears pricking as I sit here frozen in place.

What's he doing? Oh, god. What if he's going to torture me for a bit first? Maybe that's him getting some gruesome torture utensils right now?