28. Day Nine

I got barely four hours of sleep last night.

After the enlightening conversation with my sister, I realized that I never actually checked any of Maddox's social media. Which is what I then spent the majority of the night doing.

His follower count showed a casual 117k followers and it took me several minutes to actually process that.

I clicked my tongue as I scrolled through his feed and it became apparent where the absurd amount of followers came from. Some of the pictures were him shirtless, smiling into the camera with the definition of bedroom eyes. Others showed off the fact that he actually had a pretty decent fashion sense — not that I ever had a chance to notice that considering all he wore around the apartment were sweats. Then there were pictures of him travelling, a lot of travelling.

How were there so many things I never knew about him?

Because you never actually asked him anything.

Sighing, I scrolled back to the top and noticed the most recent image he'd posted. It was a cloud of white but when I clicked on the image to get a closer look, I could see an outline of a person. And not just any person.

My heartbeat quickened when I recognized myself in the image, blurry and unrecognizable to others, but painfully obvious to me.

With how quiet it was, I could almost hear my heartbeat as if the sound was echoing against the walls of my room. My eyes focused on the caption and a feeling of lightheadedness consumed me at the word written. Just one word, without any hashtags.

Cute.

The comments were mainly from women who expressed disappointment at the image and caption, questioning who the mysterious shape was and why he was posting this picture in the first place. There was no reply to any of them, except to one comment from a guy that seemed to be a friend of his.

The guy asked, that your girl man?

And Maddox replied with only one word again: hopefully.

And so my heart kept beating erratically until I finally managed to pass out at 5 AM.

When I woke up and went to get some coffee, Maddox was in the living room playing a game on his console

Instantly, a crimson shade colored my cheeks, the memory of the picture from last night ingrained into my mind. I quickly poured myself a cup, eager to escape back into my bedroom. There was no way I could look him in the eyes after my little stalker fest yesterday. At least he was never going to know that I—

"So, you liked my picture on Instagram." His voice came from the other side of the kitchen counter.

My blood froze at his words, heart lagging just a few beats behind. What did he just say?