Chapter 26: Cheesy

"Yo, man! What you staring at?" Finley rested his head on Brent's peck as he was not tall enough to reach his shoulder.

Colby couldn't even make a joke about that though as he was too distracted by a group of girls laughing and touching Ezra. Not even just any girls, but his cheating ex and all her friends with their grubby little hands. All her pretty friends who could have their pick of almost any guy in the school, but no, these girls are only interested in Ezra.

Well, it made sense to him that they were. Ezra was a modern day Adonis, which is an overused phrase when describing someone attractive, but it fit so well when describing him.

Even when Ezra had first joined the school, Colby -and many others- were mesmerised by him. From his looks, to his grades, to the way he walked with such confidence, everything about him was amazing. Colby had been his number 1 fan back in the day before the Joanna incident.

In a way, Joanna and Ezra suited each other. Both of them were the beauties of the school with their own little groupies following them around. If Joanna didn't have major commitment issues and Ezra wasn't into guys, they could've been an incredible power couple. But so could've Sophie and Ezra... or any of the girls or guys with Ezra. How did someone like Colby get such a perfect guy to be interested in him? It didn't make sense.

Ugh. Why was he having all these self-deprecating thoughts today?

Sophie's question of whether Ezra would cheat on him kept repeating over and over and over again like a broken record stuck on loop. He had gone to Sophie in hopes of fixing their relationship but now he just felt confused and their relationship was still rocky. Not forgetting that the answer to her question was 'no' because you can't cheat on someone you're not even in an official relationship with.

"Colby?" Finley asked again, picking up a fry from his plate and throwing it at Colby's head. "You good?"

"Hmm?" The fry hit him on the forehead. "I'm fine I was just... thinking."

"About what?" Asked Brent. He finally moved his school bag off his lap now that Finley wasn't teasing him anymore and he'd had a chance to cool down.

"Things." Colby replied, unable to think of something believable quickly.

"What kind of things?" Brent pushed.

Colby looked back over at Ezra to see him coming over. He really did seem different today. He always walked confidently but now he was walking like the ground under his feet was gold. The table that Ezra normally sat at -a mix of the football team to people he had classes with- stared at him curiously when Ezra didn't come to their table.

The football team... Joanna and the football team... none of the football team telling him... he hated playing football in general... why the fuck did he even play football?

"I'm thinking of quitting the football team." Colby replied to Brent.

"You're what!?" Finley screamed.

"Jesus, Finley. Where's the fire?" Came Ezra's voice, he sat right next to Colby so their thighs were touching under the table.

"If you're quitting the football team then I'm quitting the football team!" Finley yelled, Brent places a hand on his shoulder to indicate that he should chill a little bit. "I only joined because you did and you only joined because your were worried about your body at the time. If you're out, I'm out. Ain't no way around it." He leaned back into Brent's chest.

It was true. Colby had considered himself quite chubby back in the day with terrible acne, and his dad was worried he was spending too much time inside so had encouraged him to take up football; Colby agreed and had then dragged poor Finley down with him. Admittedly, the sport had been fun to try at first but now he didn't like it, didn't like the people there, didn't like the weekend practices. What was the point anymore?