Chapter 6

Neve's POV

I'm not going anywhere with her. I feel my face scrunch up into a scowl, my previously happy state of mind is gone. "I've been living in this box for five years, I think I'm fine staying here."

Her eyes slightly widen before they narrow on my soaking wet form, the rain has stopped but my clothes are drenched. "I wasn't asking."

Only now did I realize what I had done earlier. I had hugged a random stranger, an incredibly rude one. I just haven't felt a person's touch since I was nine years old when my powers activated. I missed the comfort and the serenity that comes with human touch. It's a truly beautiful thing that I hadn't realized I missed until now.

I blush deeply, remembering that I put my hands on her face. How embarrassing! What was I thinking? Responding to her statement, I try to gain back any amount of control of the situation. "Oh, sorry. I should've known that it wouldn't be my choice. I accidentally forgot about how much of a dick you are."

Her eyes ironically light with fire, seeming to be pretty mad at me. Oh well, I can't make attachments. However, seeing her mad at me causes an unknown emotion to rise up within my chest. My tears have slowed, having just gotten over the shock of being able to touch someone. At first I was happy, but now I'm thinking it to be a curse. I have to seek out physical contact with Ember if I wish to ever touch anyone ever again. Why must it be her?

Fire dancing in her eyes, she steps close to me and whispers in my ear, "If you don't come with me, your little home will be burnt to the ground."

It's hard to say but I've grown attached to my little box, and I would much rather face whatever she is going to throw at me than have my home of five years be burned. Reluctantly, I mutter, "Fine."

Deciding now would be a great time to tease me, she asks, "What did you say, little girl?"

I hate being called little. I may only be five foot but I have a personality that rivals my height. "I said 'fine,' asshole."

Seeming not to be bothered by my name calling, she just smiles at me, grabbing my hand, pulling me back in the direction of the school. Peeved that she didn't get mad at my insult, I huff as I'm dragged behind her.

We walk to the school and to her beautiful motorcycle, the bike looking sleek and polished. She obviously takes good care of it. Seeing me check it out, she smiles at me and I falter in my steps. Her smile is so gorgeous, not an evil or sarcastic smile, but a truly happy one. "This is my bike, Doom."

The name causes me to laugh out loud, not being able to believe she named her bike 'Doom.'

Her smile falls quick but her lips twitch upwards slightly, as if she was amused by my laughing. "I can't believe you named your motorcycle 'Doom.' It sounds like you were trying just a bit too hard to be edgy."

She rolls her eyes at me before handing me her helmet. "Get on."

Looking at her, disbelief probably written on my features, I shake my head quickly. "I refuse to get on 'Doom.' He seems nice and all... he's just not my type."

Ember walks closer to me, her face in mine, nose to nose. "What exactly is your type... little girl?" She smirks seeing my flushed face, her having flustered me. All I could think about was her minty breath fanning my face, her eyes alight with amusement.

Regaining my mind back, I push her away slightly, needing more space. When she is close, I can't seem to think a single coherent thought. Muttering, "Whatever," I put the helmet on and wait for her to get on the bike.

She tries to hide it from me, but I catch her victorious smirk.

What have I gotten myself into?