(22) Finals, Kind Of

Y/N

"Ah, yes.. hello Mr. Endeavour, sir," I stated rather stiffly. It wasn't just the fact of knowing what I did about him based off of his own son's words, but the man was just intimidating.

"I watched your matches. You were quite the formidable opponent out there." I flushed slightly at the comment. Sure, I'd grown up surrounded by pros who were basically family to me, but hearing it from someone ranked so highly I wasn't actually close with meant something.

"Thank you, sir."

The silence was.. awkward, that was one way of putting it. I really didn't know how to feel about the man, and he clearly wasn't much of a talker.

"Your next match is against my Shoto, is it not?"

I just made a noise of agreement. 'Yours?' I questioned mentally, confused.

"Do not hold back," was all he said to me before turning his back and walking away.

'What's that supposed to mean?' Todoroki might've been my friend, yes, but I wasn't planning on holding back. 'Was that just a reminder or something then?' My thoughts continued to spiral as I finally made my way to the all too familiar waiting room.

But then I thought about the dual haired boy. 'He doesn't like using his flames' I remind myself. 'I know he said he didn't mind mine, but what if I make him uncomfortable?' Before I can continue, I find myself in front of the other waiting room's door, hand ready to knock.

And then I did.

"Y/N?" Todoroki asked, eyeing me curiously as he stepped aside to let me in.

"Um.. Todo-kun, if you don't mind me asking.." I trailed off, as he nods in understanding. "Are you.. sure if it's alright for me to use my flames against you in our match?"

He stiffened slightly for just a moment, before returning to his usual state. However, his eyes still flashed with concern. "Y/N, you don't have to hold anything back against me. Like I've told you before, I don't mind your flames."

I breathed out in relief, slightly. "O-okay, if you're sure! I don't want to make you sad because of my quirk.."

"Y/N, I don't think you could ever make me sad," he told me comfortingly.

I shot him a small smile in return, my old happiness and excitement returning. "I'm really excited to fight against you, Todo-kun!"

We talked for a little bit longer before separating and making our individual ways to the stadium stage. My mind had felt all cloudy and muddled ever since the conversation with Endeavour, if you could even call it that. However, spending some more time with my friend had lifted my mood significantly.

Once we'd finally reachers the centre of the arena, I smiled at him.

"The battle between Y/N and Todoroki will now begin!" Midnight announced.

'Hmm.. his ice will probably be the dominant side in this match. Getting in close with my flames will be pretty difficult, and my longe ranged attacks are better with the energy aspect.. except for.. aha!' I chuckled at my sudden idea. It wasn't perfect, but it'd probably be likeliest to earn me the win. I could've shot fireballs, yes, but putting up an ice shield would've been enough to stop it, depending on the thickness.

I summoned a significant amount of Red Flame, creating something of a wall between the two of us. 'Just in case he tries to attack while I'm working.' I pushed some of the giddiness I was feeling out to power the flame, turning the dulled original colour into a bright red inferno. Then I summoned an ounce of Purple Flame, molding it into a a hook like shape, without the point end.