Chapter Thirty-Seven

By the time Naomi and the others arrived in Aequor, the midday sun had reached its peak. As she disembarked from the tram, she fully expected to be blasted with tropical heat. However, a salty breeze countered the sun's fierce, golden rays. Coach Scott and Mr. Whitman corralled the students into a tight-knit group as they exited Aequor's local P.A.T.S. station. Quinn's description of the seaside colony was spot on. Walking alongside him, Naomi didn't hide her excitement towards her new surroundings.

The sidewalks weren't like the thick concrete of Patria but made up of cobbled blue and green stones. The shimmering pavement led to an abundance of brightly colored shops, painted anywhere from peach pink to electric aquamarine. The town had embraced its aesthetic of vibrant hues, niche wares, and touristic flair. Storefronts advertised an array of tempting options, from sailboat rentals, beachwear, and shell jewelry souvenirs. Naomi paused at the jewelry stall, wondering if Lark might want something. However, Mr. Whitman tapped her shoulder.

"First stop is the hotel, Ms. Cliffton." His tone offered no room for argument. Reluctantly, Naomi agreed that it was probably best to check in first. Carrying their luggage on a shopping spree was a surefire way to attract pickpockets.

Luckily, the Coral Moon Inn was within walking distance. After a few short blocks, the hotel came into view. The flashy fountain out front, spewing crystal clear water, was only the first sign of the opulence that awaited them. The lobby sparkled just as grandly, with pearl-white columns and an aquarium that took up nearly a whole wall. The underwater habitat hosted its namesake, coral moon rocks, and other unique seaweed formations. Various types of fish darted in and out of the reef's depths.

"Don't go poking the glass," Quinn teased her as Naomi avidly studied the sea creatures' behavior.

"The temptation is strong. I'm not gonna lie," she admitted. Yet, she managed to tear herself away as Coach Scott engaged them in a stern conversation on "The Rules."

"Now, I know this may seem like a quaint getaway, but rest assured, Mr. Whitman and I will be keeping a close eye on you guys. Also, the judges are staying in this hotel as well. If they catch any misbehavior, it won't reflect kindly on you. There will be no underage drinking, partying, or spending the night in each other's rooms."

Coach Scott gave Naomi a pointed look as he handed her the key card to her room. She had no idea why he would doubt her innocence but she nodded respectfully.

Unsurprisingly, her room was next to Malcolm's, with Figgis and Sam on the other side of the prince's room. Everyone was staying on the fifth floor. Although, the judges were probably higher up in the fanciest suites. She barely had time to plop down her luggage and take in the balcony view when someone knocked on the door.

"Olivia? Um, hi..." Naomi hesitated on whether or not to let the girl in.

"Hi, Naomi. Olly and I were going to grab something to eat. I was wondering if you would want to join us."

"Is Malcolm coming?" Naomi asked, still perplexed as to why his and Alicia's friends would want her along.

"No. He's confined himself to his room. I take it he's a bit stressed."

"Um...okay. Sure," Naomi said, her stomach making the final judgment.

"Mr. Whitman wants us to stay nearby, so we were thinking of going to the restaurant here. Oliver's already down there," Olivia elaborated on the shuttle ride down to the lobby.

Dubbed The Bay, Coral Moon Inn's dining facilities were just as lush as the rest of the building. The glass tabletops, fine china, and glowing amber lighting from high chandeliers gave the place an air of expensive sophistication.