5|The Witness

Hermione had arrived in the great-hall to spot the twins sitting next to Harry and Ron

Hermione had arrived in the great-hall to spot the twins sitting next to Harry and Ron.  The lot were all dressed in their Quidditch robes. 

"Morning Granger." Fred spoke, flashing her a small grin as she sat down across from him. 

"You all have practice?" Hermione referenced their attire, grabbing a piece of toast.

"I don't, I have got another detention with Umbridge." Harry grunted.

"That woman is ridiculous." She stated, to which the group agreed.

"I'll walk you mate." Ron spoke, and the pair got up to leave the great hall.

Hermione sighed, watching as they left, leaving her with Ginny and the twins.

"Will you watch practice today?" Fred asked, his eyebrows raised.

Hermione tried not to react to his adorable face. "No, I think I'll be in the library."

"I'll meet you later then."

Hermione was rather disappointed when Fred made no appearance. She checked her watch, rolling her eyes to realize the day was half gone.

"Hey Granger."

The voice was sudden, causing her to Yelp, and drop her book to the floor with a thud. "Don't do that, you scared me half to death." She lamented in a sharp whisper.

"Well if that scares you, you'll be in a real shock for what you're in for." He gave a wink.

She attempted not to let such wink and flirtation affect her, but alas she cast him a grin. "What ever do you mean?"

He shifted, moving so each hand rest on either side of her, trapping her against the bookcase. As her back hit the binding she gulped nervously. Though she dared him to be closer.

However, just then, when the two were suffocating in a frozen moment to tension implicated by physical proximity, Dean rounded the corner.

"Fred, Hermione?"  He asked a hint of amusement within his inclination. 

Fred dropped his arms from either side of her in an instant, though he crossed them to his chest with a smirk.  Hermione was left blushing.  She shut her agape mouth. "Hello Dean." She smiled.

Fred left the isle in an almost strut of confidence. Hermione was left to groan inwardly. She imagined what a picture was painted now in Dean's imagination.  She let out a sigh as Dean looked back to her. "Hermione, what on-"

"Please don't tell Ron or Harry. We were just being, flirtatious." 

He grinned. "Alrighty then, Granger." He nudged her in the arm and they both laughed. Dean walked past, and she was left to herself.  She quickly gathered her things, and made to catch up with Fred. 

She stalked out of the library as quickly as acceptable.  It was odd really as she ran through the corridors. Her chest was filled with a growing excitement.  Perhaps the fact Dean had confirmed Fred's interest in her was not in her imagination. Why a girl could feel giddy couldn't she? 

She reached the set of moving staircases. She spotted him several levels down, leaning over the banister.  "Weasley!" She called down, and he halted in his tracks.

A few first years stared at her curiously but she didn't care.  "What is it you require Granger that you resort to shouting?!"  He called up, laughing to himself.

"I declare that you—" she stopped shouting as it was quite ridiculous."—oh heavens." She muttered to herself. 

She began to continue down the stairs, jumping quickly over connections before they changed, or weaving through the traffic of students.  Just as she nearly reached the set of stairs he was waiting on, the mechanism began to shift. 

"Well that is unfortunate Granger. I'll wait." He called, watching as she drifted farther away.

She rolled her eyes. She gripped onto the banister and tapped her fingers with impatience, occasionally she'd glance to him, where he too, however, seemingly patiently leaned on his set of stairs. 

Finally as the rotation cycle had complete, the mechanism locked into place with a loud click.  Fred picked up his book-bag, slung it over his shoulder and stepped onto the set of stairs.  "You had something to declare?" He challenged with an arched eyebrow. 

"Only that you wait up." She said in a quite defeated tone.

The staircase shifted again, the jolt causing her to fall against him. "Damned staircase." She cursed.

He steadied her, quite awkwardly gripping onto her waist.  "I reckon I actually enjoy their presence. Keeps things exciting no?"  He whispered into her ear. 

She pulled back to look at him, strangely at eye level as opposed to up.  "Of course." She let out a small giggle as she eyed the connecting platform. "Try to keep up then." She announced as she removed herself from his grasp. 

Eventually they had made their way to the great hall after the delight of chasing after each other through the corridors. 

"Where were you lot off too." Ginny asked, as they joined the table. 

Hermione swallowed her quick breathe, casting her eyes to avoid Fred's. "Umm, we were nearly studying in the library." 

Dean let out a snigger, and met Hermione with apologetic eyes for the outburst. 

"What's so funny?" Harry asked, glancing at the boy. 

"Choked." He then started to beat his chest and let out a cough. 

Once they were seated, Hermione chanced a look at Fred. He was already watching her, and as his eyes met her own, she was forced to remember where his hands had been so securely placed on her waist.  She smiled to herself.

Godric help her.

<><><><><><><><>

"And now, Harry, let us (vote and comment) step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure."
– Albus Dumbledore