Chapter 14: Alice

I stand in front of the palace with our bags packed. We are going home, George kept telling me. He explained to me that he lived in Abastumani due to the climate that would help improve his health. But first we were going to stop at Livadia, his favorite palace to show me what our future beholds. I didn't feel well either, my feet were swollen, I was feeling nauseous, and much more tired.

I help the carriage diver load our suitcases. George was speaking with Nicholas and Alix. I blew a piece of hair out of my face not noticing the world around me. "It's time to say goodbye Alice." George informs me. I nod my head and thank Nicholas for his hospitality. I then turn to sunny, giving her a tight hug, "Write to me everyday." She tells me. I then turn to Scarlett, I knew something was going on between her and George but I won't say a word about it. It was obvious that there was some sort of discomfort between Scarlett, Alix, and Nicholas but I am sure that everything will work it's self out. I give Scarlett a hug although I can tell she doesn't want me touching her.

"I will miss you all! We will come visit and visit soon I promise. I turn and sit down into the carriage with George following right behind me. I notice Empress Marie looking at us through the window, she looks like a ghost. "Darling are you sure that you don't want to say anything to your mother? It will be sometime before we see her again." I ask him. "If she want to tell me something she would have. She had enough time." He grumbles. I keep silent not wanting to bother him about the subject anymore.

Once the carriage starts moving I wave goodbye to my family. My new life was starting and I am excited. I wrote to my mother and father of my wedding. I have yet to hear back from them. The winter palace was out of sight and the busy streets of St Petersburg fill our view. I watch people stop and stare at our carriage and all the guards surrounding us. I heard yelling as I people watch before hearing something smash into our carriage window and then hearing a *thunk* sound.

Before I could turn to see what it could be I felt George wrap his arm around me, pushing his chest into my face as he opened the carriage door. We both fell out and tumbled onto the brick road of the city as I heard a loud explosion go off. I closed my eyes, holding onto George tightly. As we stopped tumbling I was laying on the ground with George on top of me, shielding me. I open my eyes to find his shut and his arms wrapped around me tightly, hugging me close.

He risked his life for me. My mind goes blank,He jumped to save me instead of himself. He truly does care about me, he loves me so much that he would risk his life for me. I place my hand on his cheek, trying to comprehend what just happened. Someone tried to kill us but we survived. I watch the way my husband is shielding me and only one thing comes to mind. I will repay him for the rest of my life as being a good wife and companion for him. I move a piece of his hair out of his face, that is when he opens his brilliant bright blue eyes, "Alice are you alright?!"He frantically asks me, checking for any wounds.

"George I-,"
"Yes my darling, yes, please tell me what is wrong." He says in panic, cutting me off. "I love you." I state but it was more a of realization of how much I do love him. "I love you too but are you-,"
"I am fine George," I reassure with adoring eyes. He gets himself off of me and helps me get off the ground. The guards shielding us from witnesses and anyone else that wants to hurt us. The next passing open carriage that passes by is emptied and we were put inside of it and sent straight back to the winter palace.

I was in George's arms the whole way, making me feel secure. "T-thank you," I whisper to him. "There is no need of thanking my love, as I told you once before, I can't live without you." He kisses the top of my head. Once we got to the winter palace multiple people were running up to us, doctors, nurses, Nicholas, Alix, and the Empress. "Oh my George!"the Empress wraps her around him  and starts to cry. Alix ran up to me, taking me into her embrace.

"Oh my lord Alice, I was frightened to death when I heard about what had happened."she says frantically. We get taken inside and I get all of my scratches and small wounds fixed. George went to speak with his mother as I was taken to Alix's room and given a new dress to wear since everything I owned was now destroyed, except the only photograph that I have of Victoria and I. I keep a locket around my neck with the photo inside, this was the only thing that had survived apart from us.

Alix has me sitting on her couch as she rambles on and on how thankfully the lord had saved me from tragedy. I know Scarlett doesn't like me much but I know how much she adores Sunny, so the absence of her presence is which I find odd "Alix?" I say. "Yes?"she answers. "What is going on between you and Scarlett?"I asks her. "I noticed tension between the three of you."I point out. Alix looks at me and then looks away, tears stream down her face while she starts to cry. I was taken aback by her action.

"Why are you crying sunny?"I ask her, petting her in comfort. "Because I have been betrayed. I have been betrayed so early into my marriage!" She cries. "What ever do you mean Sunny?" Alix gets up and looks at me with her puffy teary eyes, "H-he cheated."my heart stops while my eyes widen from shock, "Nicholas?!" She bitterly nods her head yes, "How? Why? Who?"I am so surprised, I really thought that Nicholas was trusting and a loyal man. "He was spotted with a women, entering her bedroom." Alix cries. "Who was she?"I press.

"It was Scarlett,"