Chapter 49: Night of Scars

^^^Adam vs. Dagen

Here is an early chapter for you lovely people. I love you and thank you for all the support you give for this book, you all are truly amazing.

Norah

Air whips at my braids, pulling strands free and into my face. Holland and Easton curse. Dagen laughs as he falls to his death. I throw out my abilities, hoping to catch the ice on the cliffs. A thought passes, quick and sudden, of grateful acceptance. Just fall.

"Sorry. Sorry!" Adam throws his hands out. My teeth rattle, bone connecting with bone. Solid air rises up to meet us and I stumble forward, fearing one extra step will send me over the edge of the invisible platform.

I put a hand to my mouth, my blood metallic against my tongue. I stare at it for a moment, memories of Clarika's blood and scolding red water circling the drain, of me scrubbing at my skin until it was raw and then scrubbing more. Iron had coated my tongue then, had been there before the shower.

Adam slaps a hand to his mouth, gaping at me. "I am so sorry-"

I fight to feel mad, but cannot. My life is full of bad things, this is just another to add to the pile. "It's fine," is all I say.

His lips clamp together and he nods, wincing as he turns away.

"Now that Adam's done trying to kill us, let's move on," Holland grumbles, his face a white mask. Like the others, he has shed his extra layers of warmth, letting the runes I've placed there be his only layer of protection. Without the blistering winds or snow, staying warm is easier.

Adam lowers us to the ground, wiping his hands as we discuss where to go next. "Sorry, I wasn't expecting you guys to be so heavy," he says.

The tunnels had taken us too far away from our dragons. Holland lost his connection first, then Easton. But Rima is not a normal dragon and our bond is anything but ordinary. She watches through my eyes, relaying everything back to the other dragons in the cavern.

"Where are we headed?" Easton asks, green eyes roving over a mile of stone that leads to the withering buildings jutting out of the stone.

"To the tree," Adam says, as if there isn't any other logical option. When Easton frowns, Adam gapes at him. "Have you ever picked up a book?" He gestures to the tree so massive it's multicolored leaves brush the dome of the cavern. "It's a ginormous tree in the middle of a city where a relic is supposed to be."

"I'm going to the tree," I tell them. It's become too easy to drive emotion from my face, from my eyes and simply tell facts instead of what I feel.

A hollow finger curls around me, tugging me closer like someone on the end of a string. I try to ignore it and focus on the ice littering Aros' streets.

"It feels empty." Dagen agrees.

I eye him for a moment then turn to Easton. Green eyes slide to me, concern and surprise written there. I stiffen but do not back down. If he chooses to follow, he can but I will not waste useless hours and energy exploring this city when I know something is at the tree.

"We're going to the tree," Holland declares, nodding for us to follow him forward. "Norah, how many do you think are in the city?"

My fingers straighten, wanting to claw at my scalp. I want to have the relic. I want to be done with this. "I don't know, I can count up to thirty. But after that, everything mushes together."

"Keep an eye on them," he says, "if they are Thrawlers, I want to stay as far away from them as possible. Keep the talking to an absolute minimum." He looks at Adam.