31: We've Nothing

The next evening we were sitting in Ridge's backyard

The next evening we were sitting in Ridge's backyard. The boys decided to meet up and discuss about the leads they have so far.

Ridge was making burgers in an open barbecue while Derek helped him. By the looks of it Ridge had to do all the work twice to show Derek how it's done properly.

I could see the necklace I gave for auction on Derek's neck. He wore a grey vest and his tattoo and the simple silver chain looked good on him.

I was wearing the necklace Ridge had given me. I never take it off, I wear it all the time and that seems to make Ridge very happy, as he hasn't stopped smiling since he opened the door for me and saw it on me.

Ridge came to the table with the burgers while Derek grabbed beers for everyone.

Derek took a seat next to me and gave my necklace a brief look before settling down.

"Dig in," Ridge says and the boys attacked the burgers.

I took a burger and placed it on my plate to put some ketchup on it. This would be the first time I'll be eating something cooked by Ridge, I had never gotten a chance before. Even in the camp Derek was the one who barbecued the ribs.

I took my first bite and the the burger was unusual. Crispy yet creamy at first with a rich spicy aftertaste.

"You really are a good cook, Ridge. The burgers are amazing," I say after a few bites.

"Why Thank you," Ridge smiled at me.

"So, let's discuss what we know so far, Does anyone has anything to share?" Carson asks. He had already finished his first burger and was now on his second.

"Yeah, I do," Derek says.

"Really? What?" Carson asks.

"Oh sorry, I forgot I have nothing," Derek says casually.

"Thank you, Der. Thank you for the delay," Ridge says.

"What about the car you followed?" I asked Ridge.

They all looked down in disappointment, "I lost it," Ridge says, keeping his voice low.

"What?" I asked, shocked.

"I had to, the car was changing lanes like crazy, taking different turns to make sure they were not being followed. If I would've gone any further, it would've just confirmed that I was following them. I didn't have much time to think and I had to make a choice fast. I just couldn't risk them finding out. All that we've achieved would've gone to waste," Ridge says.

"You did the right thing," Derek was the one who spoke up.

"No doubt, Ridge," I say.

"Don't doubt yourself. We weren't prepared for it, we could've got caught," Carson says, but Ridge still looked disappointed in himself.