Chapter 64

Mila

Why on earth am I so nervous?

I was ready to marry this man the second he stepped into my life, but now, standing in my wedding dress in our bedroom...I feel like I can't breathe.

"I can't do this. What if I trip?" I mutter, pulling at the hem of my dress.

"You won't trip, Mimi. Sam will make sure of that," Jas says, doing her best to keep my anxiety at bay, as she always does.

"But what if he doesn't?"

"Mila..." she warns me with a sigh.

"Shit, sorry. It's just...peanut's been kicking all day, and I just want it to be done—I want to be his wife."

She steps behind me, rubbing her hands over my arms as she shoots me a smile through the mirror, resting her chin on my head when she says, "Usually I'd make fun of you for being so fucking sappy, but I'll make an exception today. It's literally only a matter of minutes until we go out there and make you his wife."

I turn around to look at my best friend, the one who went through thick and thin with me, the one who always stood by my side, every step of the way. It seems like yesterday when a little boy stole my shovel in kindergarten, and Jasmine took it back and hit him on the head with it. She exclaimed that's what best friends do, although I didn't even know her name at that point. And she always kept her word, always stood by my side and fought every battle with me, no matter how hard it was.

"Mimi...why are you crying? You'll ruin my meticulous makeup!"

Her words make me laugh; I didn't even realize I started crying at some point in my reverie. "Sorry, it's just...I'm so thankful for having you as my best friend, Jas. I don't... I don't know how I would've survived any of this without you."

"Mimi, I told you I'd punch you if you make me cry." She wipes tears from her cheek and wraps me in her tight hug. "We'll always stick together, I promise. I know it may not seem like it, because I'm so bad at showing it, but I'm really, really grateful for your friendship. You helped me more than you might think."

"I don't believe that," I whisper, red hair falling into her face as she pulls back, her palms on my cheek when she lowers herself to look at me properly.

"Have I ever lied to you? I need you in my life as much as anyone needs their best friend, if not more. You should know that by now."

I only nod, knowing there's no use arguing with her, and she's probably right. Jas has had her fair share of unpleasant experiences in her life, and I know how hard it was to overcome them as well as she did. "Yeah, okay." I sniff, wiping another wave of tears from my face as I take a deep breath.

"Good. Now, stop crying. Your dad will be here in a minute, and I need you to look the part, okay?"

"Okay, okay. Sorry."

"Don't apologize. I love you, sister." She winks, and I can't help but laugh, squeezing her hand once more.

"I love you too."

But the next wave of tears is already coming. These hormones have my emotions all over the place today. Jasmine takes it all like a champ, though, reapplying waterproof mascara and fixing up my hair, working on the last finishing touches when we hear a loud knock on the door.

"Who is it?" she yells. "If it's Hayden, he can fuck off! The bride will be down in a minute."

My dad's laugh echoes through the hallway, and I can only shake my head at Jasmine, even though I wouldn't be surprised if Hayden actually showed up by the door.