˗ˋ 21

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE

-: sixth year :-

── IN WHICH SHE CAN FINALLY STOP

. . .

After Cedric had confronted her at breakfast, Rosie had avoided him for a couple of weeks, and it was mid-way through December before she would even consider talking to him, or even looking his way. This didn't mean that Cedric had avoided her - in fact he had come up to her a couple of times.

Rosie never looked for conflict - most of the time she would avoid it like it was the plague. What happened in the hall was simply a one off time. She would never have gone up to Cedric, but knowing just how confident he was, he had no problem coming up to her. 

One of the best ways to avoid someone is to completely stay away from their usual roots. And having been in the same Transfiguration class as Cedric for years, Rosie knew he tended to stay to the quickest route. 

But seeing as Rosie chose to go the longer way, she had to hurry all the same, and got to the classroom just as McGonagall had began the register. "Miss Kersey, right on time." The woman spoke through pursed lips. 

"Sorry I'm late, Professor." Rosie said, and looked from an empty seat. Next to a head of red hair was one, and she slipped into it. Fred had saved her it, in their usual seats quite close to the front of the room, but two rows behind from where McGonagall had stood. 

"Still taking the hard route?" Fred mumbled. "Here." He said, as McGonagall reached the end of the register, and looked to the girl beside him.

"Yes, I'd rather that than speak to him again." Rosie replied, flicking through the pages of her book, trying to listen to Professor McGonagall. Fred looked as if he was about to say something more, but refrained from it.

The lesson passed slowly, just like most lessons did these days. It just seemed to drag on. Rosie had nothing to look forward to, and with because of that, there was nothing for her to daydream about. 

She couldn't look forward to helping Cedric out that night, or look forward to the next task, whenever the hell that was. Rosie didn't even know what she was doing at Christmas. Whether she was going to the Burrow or back to her parents' house or what. 

But as the lesson came to an end, McGonagall would share news thatfinally gave her something to look forward to. Something that was almost the definition of daydream-material. 

The class was sat in their desks still, equipment packed away as they waited for McGonagall to dismiss them. The teacher was stood at the front, reading a sheet of parchment, before placing it down and looking to the class.

"The Yule Ball is approaching." She announced. "It is a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament and an opportunity for us to socialize with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth years and above - and as you are all in sixth year, this is no problem to you." 

Besides Rosie, Fred and George exchanged a look, and somewhere on the Hufflepuff side, a few girls let out excited squeals at the news.

"Dress robes will be worn." Professor McGonagall continued. "And the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. Now then.. the Yule Ball is a chance for us all to.. let our hair down." 

"Fat chance." Rosie mumbled, eyeing the tight knot of hair on McGonagall's head. Fred chuckled beside her, and when Rosie looked towards the teacher, she found herself meeting Cedric's eyes.

And she didn't look away, too nervous that she had even glanced at him. Cedric didn't seem to look away either, until Fred elbowed her in the side. 

Stiffiling a choked cough, Rosie looked to Professor McGonagall again, listening to her say something about keeping the expectations set of the students of Hogwarts.

"Mr Diggory, Professor Sprout would like a word some point today, please." McGonagall addressed the Hufflepuff champion, and Cedric nodded.

The class was dismissed, and they spilled out into the corridor. "I'm going to the library, I'll do the homework and give it to you later." Rosie told the twins, who nodded and disappeared somewhere. 

A part of Rosie wanted to speak to Cedric about the mermaids in the egg - because there was no doubt that he had heard the screaming by now. But she just turned away from the group that had gathered in the corridor and began the short journey to the library. 

"Hey." A voice shouted, and considering she was passing quite a few people, she assumed the shouts were for someone else."Kersey!" Whoever it was then shouted, and Rosie turned around, knowing there was no doubt it was her.

"Oh." She was surprised to come face to face with Cedric, someone who she had barely talked to since the 24th of November, when Cho had said all those harsh words to her. "Diggory, hey." 

"Rosie.." Cedric faltered, and the girl stared at him expectantly. "I'm sorry." He said, and Rosie was rather taken aback. "I'm sorry for what Cho said, I'm sorry I didn't tell her we were friends, I'm sorry that I didn't stop her from saying those things."

"That's a lot of apologising." Rosie began walking, and Cedric stayed next to her. "It took you a while, are you sure you really mean it?"

"What- Yes.. Yes of course I mean it." Cedric fumbled. "I'm also sorry that I haven't apologised sooner." 

"It's alright. Atleast you know what you needed to apologise for." Rosie replied, looking up at the handsome Hufflepuff. "Bet back on?"

"Oh thank Merlin, I have no idea what to do with this egg. It keeps screaming?" Cedric said, and Rosie laughed, letting the boy keep walking with her to the library, wondering whether she should tell Cedric right away or just point him in the right direction.

But atleast they were friends again, Triwizard Tournament or not.

✧