chapter 45

KHALID

"Won't you talk?" Abimbola shouted as she got up from the floor. I ignored her and continued my chat with Kunmi.

"Khalid!" She screamed and I looked up from my phone.

"What is it?"

"So, you won't say anything abi? Your friend slapped me and you decided to keep shut," she said on top of her voice and I strained my ear.

"What do you want me to say? See I'm already tired of you picking up a fight with Kikiope every time, what's your problem?"

She scoffed, "So, you're going to take her side again abi? Is that it? I met you guys being all lovey-dovey and you expect me to pretend right?"

I lifted my brows, "What are you saying? Is there any crime in her hugging me? You always take things to the wrong side infact you're choking me."

Colour drained out of her face, "I'm choking you? Is it because I've been quiet all this while? You think I didn't notice her getting closer and trying to seduce you."

I furrowed my brows, "What do you mean?"

"Stop pretending I know you're enjoying the attention she's been giving you," she hollered.

I sighed, "See, Bimbola, I'm not ready for your shouts today."

"So, I'm the one shouting?" She shouted again, I shook my head before inserting my earpiece into my ear.

She removed the earpiece forcefully and threw it to the floor, "I'm talking to you."

I sighed, "What is it? What do you want?"

"What do I want? You know what I want right now is for you to choose between Kikiope and I," she bellowed.

I rubbed my temples, this girl is the real definition of frustration. Like, it's something to choose between.

"I'm waiting," she yelled.

"You know the answer yourself so, what are you waiting for? You can't expect me to stop being friends with Kikiope because of you."

She scoffed, "But you can choose her over me right? So, she's more important to you."

"Of course!"

She pressed her lips together," I promise you, you'll regret this."

I chuckled before picking my earpiece from the floor.

"This is not the end, Kikiope can never win against me, she can never get everything I want, she'll pay for this!" She shook her legs and I looked away from her.

"This is my promise to the two of you, you'll regret it," and with that she stormed out of the house while I inserted my earpiece into my ear and heaved a sigh of relief.

Finally, I'm free from trouble, I'm now a free person. I inhaled and I smiled to myself before my phone rang. Looking at the caller ID, it was my mom.

I contemplated on picking it or not before I decided to pick it. She'd been calling a lot lately ever since she left with Dad on Sunday.

"Hey, Khalid," her voice came from the other end.

"Good afternoon," I greeted.

"How are you?"

"I'm fine."

"I hope everything is going well?"

"Yeah," I replied.

"Is Sofia around?"

"She left earlier this morning," I answered before sliding my legs into my slippers.

"Oh okay then, I'll be coming soon."

Soon in years to come. I stood up and walked into my room, we talked for some seconds before she eventually hung up.

💢💢💢💢💢💢💢

I smiled as I listened to Kikiope's manifesto. It was Monday and being the midterm week, the school had decided the Prefects should have their manifesto today while tomorrow would be the election and the result would be out by Wednesday before we go home for the break.

A loud cheer and claps erupted from everyone as Kikiope took her bow and left the stage, everyone kept on shouting and hailing her before Abimbola was called for her manifesto and the cheers disappeared.

"Great JANU students," she shouted while pushing her fisted hand.

"Great," we the audience that is all other students that are not contesting for any post replied.

"My name is Ademidun Abimbola, a student of SS2Pink, I'm contesting for the post of the Social Prefect girl..." She went on with her talks before she left the stage, only few people clapped for her.

"I'm really feeling for Abimbola oo, this students didn't even cheer her at all, you didn't tell her when she was filling the form nii," Doyin who was beside me jested, she wasn't going up for the manifesto so far she was contesting for the Sports prefect girl, being the only person nominated for the post, the election had been done on the field by the School team, and she'd been chosen.

"I don't know when she filled it and it's not like it's my business, she should have reasoned well before deciding to contest with Kikiope," I replied.

"So, now we've seen our social Prefects, let's call them out to show how social they are, DJ bring in the music," Mr Nelson who was anchoring the programme shouted before calling out the contestants.

Choki tuned in the music and in a matter of time they started dancing. We the audience cheered them on as we joined in the dance.

"Abimbola is just twerking there, does she think that would lure us to vote for her?" Doyin snickered.

"I don't know for her oo."

"Thank you, thank you, you've seen them now and you know who you want to vote for, you can leave," Mr. Nelson permitted, and they left the stage.

Doyin jested,"It's certain Abimbola might be relegated to Silence Officer, or she might not even get any post, I just hope she won't go home crying tomorrow after getting disgraced."

And she eventually got ridiculed during the election, no one voted for her, not even a single person, they all rushed to Kikiope, her disgrace became the talk of the day 'cause she was the only one with the least vote, like no one even voted for her at all.

💢💢💢💢💢💢💢

"Khalid, are you even listening to me at all?" She shrieked and I snapped my head towards her.

"There's nothing more to say, you broke up with me yourself," I replied, and she slumped her shoulders.

"But I've been begging you since, I was only angry that day."

I shrugged, "See, we can't be together again, we can only remain as good friends."

"But I want to be more than just friends, it was just a slip of tongue that day," she went on and I sighed.

"But, wait, Abimbola shouldn't you be thinking about the embarrassment you had yesterday."

She twisted her face, "Don't remind me about that, I know the students of your school are after the one that'll treat them badly, it's not like that post will add anything to my life," she hissed.

"Okay oo, but, anyway, I'm going to Kikiope's place now."

Her expression hardened,"Must you always go to her place?"

"See this is my life not yours," and with that I walked out of the house leaving her rooted on the couch.

What do you think about this chapter?
Remember to vote and comment