~Prologue~

~Prologue~

Winter of 1863 Country lands of Theodosia

Winter imbibed all in its path, leaving little confidence to those who wished for the unpleasant weather to withdraw. A large mansion stood atop of Theodosia's largest cliff, its presence an eerie riveting display before all those who crossed its path. Down below the sea roared with maddening waves crashing into the cliff. It divided the great land of Theodosia from the beautiful green pastures of Ethel. Countless peasants had fled to the greener pastures, where the weather could not affect its crop. Granting they endangered their lives fleeing in ships, it was a risk many had taken. Living in Theodosia had its misfortunes if you were below class and had little means to protect oneself from the cold. Those who failed to find resources of keeping warm during wintertime would suffer its madness.

However, for Calvin Potent there was little concern for the dreadful weather. The Master of Potent Keep had greater distress to be troubled for now. Inside the third floor, he paced just outside his own chambers. Sweat formed at his brow as the painful agonizing scream of his wife echoed through the large candle lit hall. Calvin fisted his hands as his desperation and impatience began to overcome his will to wait. He could hear how the help encouraged his beloved Lydia to gather her wits and give another prod. Pacing farther away from the door, he pulled from his vest a handkerchief to dab at his sweat.

Above all, he wanted to seem calm and well-mannered when his first-born arrived. He would never give the help the prospect of him in great distraction even in the happiest of times. Before Calvin could decide to pry from the hall into his own study, Lydia once again let out her agony in a piercing scream. He stood frozen, feeling the vibration of her cry run a chilling path down his spine. Silence followed, not a murmur was heard as he stood perfectly still. His heart beat with a rhythm of anticipation and sweat began to form once again.

Turning on one heel, he marched straight for the door, concerned for his wife and child. It was in that instant that child cries erupted from the other end of the door. Tears threaten to spill as he closed his eyes to lavish his first-born weeping. The handle in his hand began to turn moist and Calvin pushed aside his pride unable to contain his excitement. His vision threaten to blur as he stepped a foot inside. Blinking back tears he watched in awe Doctor Thaddeus hold in his arms Calvin's first born. However, the old man never expressed an emotion that implied he was pleased with the delivery.

No sooner had he stepped inside when he heard the weeping of another woman. His eyes trailed to the large chamber bed where his beloved wife laid. His heart constricted as it took the painful emotional blow to see Lydia in a tangled mess of sweat and blood. She lay lifeless, her eyes staring at the cream-colored ceiling above and seeing absolutely nothing. Calvin's eyes then trailed to where the doctor stood, overshadowed by shame and pity. His tongue refused to form words as he pushed his legs to move forward. Standing at the foot of the bed Calvin denied lifting his eyes to look upon his wife. Instead, he trailed his emerald hard stare to where a maid knelt beside the bed. Her small form shook and shivered from the weeping, as she held in her hands Lydia's very own.

"Lydia?" he managed to muster up.

"I am sorry Master Potent." Doctor Thaddeus replied, in a hesitant voice.

Calvin took a sharp breath as the faint cries to that of his newborn son vanished. His eyes focused on his wife and quietly he moved towards her. He felt his feet weight him down as he reached for the maid's slender shoulder and lifted her away.

"Get out." He managed to mutter, in a stern and harsh tone.

She sniffled and retreated away, vanishing from his sight as he stood quietly waiting for them to walk out the door. When the faint click to the door reached his ears Calvin fisted his hands, fighting with the awful feeling to cry. When he failed to contain his emotions together, he wept. Settling unto the edge of the large bed, he gathered her into his arms cradling her as if she were a child. His chest heaved as he rocked his wife back and forth and words of forgiveness spilled from his mouth as he let his tears stream down his face. Lydia Potent had died giving birth to their first-born son.