Confused

~Chapter Seven~

            The ballroom was virtually finished, the marriage ceremony would be tomorrow, and Ettie would be losing Henry forever.  Mrs. Sally had demanded that she completed the entire room herself and it had been an excruciating progression to do.  Now she stood observing eight dissimilar colored tablecloths.  For a tick she gazed round the large ballroom, the cloth garlands looked breathtaking along with the dimly lit chandelier overhead.  The columns held a beautiful pearl polish and the floor shimmered with the reproduction of the light.  She moved her fingers over each cloth and lastly grasped at a light pink one.

            Ettie gave a minor smile and a reminiscence of Lady Lydia soon came to mind as she constrained the soft fabric to her cheek.

            "A shade of pink makes my day."  Ettie uttered under her breath.  Lady Lydia had always said. 

            Her verdict was made, and white and pink would do for the ballroom.  She had only one day to finish and today much like all other night's she would spend her time here, working and making certain that everything was perfect for tomorrow.  The door creaked opened just as she gathered the rest of the rejects in her arms.

            "Henrietta, I suggest you finish today, the tables will be brought down tomorrow.  When you finish I advise you head for the kitchen and help the rest of the other girls finish catering.  We have a large list of invitees so I propose you rush up and wrap all this up."  She snipped.

            Ettie simply bobbed as she looked down to her black button up boots and then hunched a bit in her stance as the door closed.  She hastily collected the rest of the tablecloths in her arms and headed out the ballroom to fetch the rest of the other hundred she needed to get.  Her small petite feet move quickly past several maids and avoided passing young Henry's room.  It pained her to know that with every decoration and lit candle she proceeded to do, she was closer to losing the young lad.  A sigh escaped her lips as she reached the large door for the third floor and quietly went up each step.

            It had been so long since she had entered the third floor and it depressed her to the bone to walk up there.  Ettie constrained her lips into a thin line as she felt the old wound Master Potent had inflicted on her still protest.  She reached for it and caressed the small bruise as she found herself walking quietly towards the old chamber.  Her hands hesitated for a fraction of a second and then she grasped the cold knob in her hands.  Quietly pushing the door open, she felt it even weightier in her grasp as she observed the large chamber.  Everything was still as Lady Lydia had left it.

            Ettie felt a tear stroll down her cheek as she felt the chill in the atmosphere surround her.  Her eyes looked down to the large chamber bed.  The sheets were still disheveled, and tainted with the blood that was proof of Lady Lydia's death.  However, the blood was almost a large stain of black abyss. 

            "How I miss you Lady Lydia."  Ettie whispered.

            She observed the large cobwebs that had formed over the years; the dust and the awful scent of age fill the atmosphere.  Master Potent had refused to step foot in this room ever since her death, and Ettie could understand.  Her fingers trembled as she reached to caress a pink robe over a chair, at contact, the large door creaked open, and Ettie spun around frightened.

            Master Potent observed her, his eyes tacking in the few tears that had escaped Ettie.  She lowered her head in shame and fought to find her tongue as Calvin took a step inside.

            "My apologies."  She managed to say after a while.

            "Get out." He quietly said.