Rain and Sunshine

~Chapter Eleven~

The wind blew aggressively, the leaves speckled and the moist ground grew thicker as the rain kept pouring. Ettie felt her teeth chatter as she rode into the large market, observing as some of the souk dealers gathered their belongings and scattered. The road lay virtually deserted as only a few men cantered soundlessly by. She failed to distinguish the large market that of Theodosia. It had grown vastly, the last recollection she had ever had was a memory of it being so much smaller. She felt fear seep into her suddenly. What if she failed to find Henry? Ettie closed her eyes from a moment, trying to decipher what to do first while she pulled on the horses harness to make it halt.

Slowly opening her eyes, she scanned them about and lastly recognized a small stable nearby. Gently slipping from the horse Ettie walked it over and tied the horse down as she watched the boy in ragged clothes gently falling asleep. Quietly Ettie slipped out of sight and wandered out to the market. She needed to be rid of the horse, for deep down she knew he would be looking for it. Walking along side of the road Ettie made certain not to make any eye contact and moved along ignoring the stares.

When she reached the outer gate to Theodosia, once again she gazed out to the country lands and stilled. Her journey would be long and she had nothing to go by, no food, shoes, or shelter. The sacrifice was worth it aside from the downfalls she was facing. Taking a large breath Ettie moved her muddy feet forward and began her long journey to the old farm.

***

Calvin pushed the horse to go faster as he rode through the heavy rain and finally made it to the marketplace. The tracks disheveled as he observed the ground, his brows furrowed as he rode the horse slowly along the road, his eyes fastening in every bit of prints on the ground. The blasted rain had quickly vanished any track of Ettie and inwardly Calvin growled. He gave a defeated sigh and decided to tie his horse down and search for her on foot. She could not have gotten far. Upon reaching the stables, he recognized his stallion right away and rushed to its side. Calvin surveyed his surroundings and quickly shook the sleeping lad from his slouched position.

"The girl, the girl who was riding this horse, where did she go?" Calvin asked.

The boy looked dazed and clearly confused as he rubbed his eyes and stood. "Beg your pardon Sir, but...I-I do not recall ever taking money from any maiden riding this horse." He replied a bit stunned.

"Are you certain, think long and hard before you reply." He perused to ask.

The boy simply shook his head and then looked to Calvin as a realization hit him.

"Pardon me Sir, but did you not just come by earlier with the same horse?" he asked.

Calvin did not reply simply untied his rose and gave the poor boy a few coins for his troubles. Surprisingly Calving felt his horse steer in a different direction and a hunch began to form inside of him as he let him lead the way. He stopped just outside of the outer gates that lead back to the county. For a moment, he paused to look around and saw nothing, the rain made it incredibly hard for him to see. Shaking his head in disappointment, he pulled the horse back into town but it refused to budge.

"Come on you blasted beast." He urged.

The horse stood still tugging the harness from Calvin's grasp as it began to gallop outside towards the country. Did the animal know whom Calvin searched for? He sighed in defeat and went after it, trying to grasp at the reins but the horse refused to, instead it galloped even faster. Calvin picked up the pace as his long shin boots caused mud to splatter and stain his clothes.

Finally able to catch up to it he tugged on the reins and quickly climbed the animal. By now, he was drenched in water and mud. Instead of fighting it, instead of having his way Calvin let the animal lead the way for the first time. He just hoped deep down it led to something rather than nothing.