The Old Farm

~Chapter Seventeen~

The large old farm came into view at long last and Ettie could not contain the excitement building inside her chest. She wished the horse would move faster, but to her disappointment, it simply trotted over the small hill following the long dirt road that led to it. The grass had grown where crop had once been, even the bright brown wood had now disheveled into worn and old boards as her eyes took in the vast view before her. There were neither hens, nor cows, nor any other animal in sight, there was nothing there. The old barn had been abandoned! Her heart sank and it was then that she pleaded with Luther to move his horse faster.

The animal began to gallop towards the old barn and once it stopped, she quickly slipped from Luther's arms and hit the ground with a loud thud. Her feet moved quickly past the large worn out doors that barely hung by its hinges. With her heart hammering out of control Ettie screamed out for Henry but there was no reply.

"Ettie, be careful, this barn is not stable!" Luther shouted out to her.

He followed her inside as her eyes searched the large barn hoping to see anything move.

"Henry! It's me Ettie, please darling, answer me!" she called out.

Luther took hold of her arm as she reached for a disheveled ladder and tugged her away from it.

"No, can't you see the condition it is in? You will plunge down to your death." He hissed.

"I have to, I need to see if he's up there." She protested.

"There is nothing up there, and if there was I fail to think Henry would be the one." He argued.

"Luther..." Ettie began to explain.

A cough broke through the silence and it made them both freeze.

"Henry!" she called out again.

Ettie reached for the ladder that went up high to the attic of the barn but Luther stopped her before she could put a foot on it.

"I'll go you wait down here." He protested.

"Please, please be careful." She begged.

He nodded and took a deep breath before letting it out sharply. He studied the ladder for a few more seconds before he put one foot over it and gently pushed himself upward. The ladder protested as he reached the opening of the small hole on the roof.

"Well?" Ettie asked from far down.

"It is immensely dark up here." Luther replied.

"Henry! Henry it's me Ettie!" she called out again.

Luther's boots disappeared into the dark hole in the ceiling and Ettie clutched her hands tightly together, waiting to hear what would happen next. A faint shuffling was heard and then his footsteps stopped. Tears pooled on the rim of her waterline as she gazed up hoping for a miracle as Luther began to walk again.

"Please be here, please be alright." She whispered.

Behind her, the galloping of a horse distracted her as she turned to see the dust rising and entering through the large crack of the doors.

***

Calvin stopped his horse beside the old barn and spotted another horse just outside. His feet hit the ground and he moved quietly trying not to make any noise as he neared the large doors. His heart palpitated in a thunderous rhythm while sweat began to form on his brow. He reached for the door and pushed it open. There she stood, almost like a ghost from his dreams as the stern look on his face vanished only to be replaced by relief. Their eyes met and Ettie opened her mouth to speak only to have sudden pieces of wood come crashing down on her.