Recovery

~Chapter Eighteen~

Calvin wandered his chamber feeling his ribcage tightened all the more as he glanced to look towards his study door. Who was he misleading exactly...his heart? He distinguished that from the moment those lost feelings had begun to stir in him once again, he had fallen for her. He paused in his long steps and gritted his fists together. His hand reached out towards the knob, turned it, and made his way into the long hall and down the stairs. There would be no more tiptoeing around these uncontrollable feelings.

"Master Potent, I must have a word with you." Said a maid.

"Not now," he replied.

He dashed past her into his very own chambers and allayed as he neared the door. He took a deep breath and unexpectedly his hands quaked as he reached for the bronze knob. The door screeched open and Calvin surveyed his surroundings as he took one-step inside.

"Ettie?" he called out.

The room lay lit with a single candle as a silhouette at the far end lay soundly asleep. Calvin neared her and observed as she rested, her tired complexions pale as dark rings graced her eyes.

"Ettie." He whispered yet again.

She enthused as cold sweat dripped down her forehead, the illness taking a higher toll inside of her. The damage by the large debris fallen on her had caused a few abrasions to her face, a broken arm and some impairment to her head. Thankfully, the doctor had managed to stop the bleeding and sedated Ettie with a medicine only the richer could afford to buy.

"Calvin." She muttered.

He watched as she shook violently, her body nearly convulsing because of her sickness. Slowly he turned over his shoulder to listen if anyone stood about, and carefully he crawled into the large bed with her. It creaked as he nestled into the shape of her body and gently pressed her against his frame.

"I am here now Ettie." He whispered into her hair.

"It's so cold." she whispered.

He knew she was delusional that she did not realize he was there as Calvin took her small hand and cupped it into his own.

"It's dark." She whispered.

"Try to sleep, everything will be okay." He replied.

He pulled himself over unto his elbow and watched as she breathed heavily her skin almost a yellowish glow under the small-lit candle light.

"Ettie?"

She did not reply and her light breaths were enough to tell Calvin that she had fallen back asleep. He cradled her against him and placed a tender kiss unto her thin cheek, feeling jolts of erratic behavior control his stomach. He had not been this tender or sympathetic. Now that the past had finally stayed just where it belonged, he could see with the eyes of the future, one where he pictured her in it. Lord help him, he would always love Lydia, although she had betrayed him, but not like he loved Ettie, he comprehended that now.

"Please hold on Ettie, Henry needs you...and most of all me. I need you to love me, I need you to need me, and desire my company above anyone else's. I love you so, so much." he confessed.

His face nestled into her long hair and Calvin felt himself a fool, but he did not care how erratic his emotions were spiraling. For the first time in his life, he allowed himself to feel. His heart shyly opened its doors as he spooned her, held her close to him feeling it would never be enough. Accelerating at an exaggerated speed his heart lurched and ached against his chest as he gently stroked her long paled injured arm, as it lay on her side tightly wrapped in linen cloths. Her skin curled in tiny bumps as his fingers gently caressed the shivers away. Ettie could not stop trembling as Calvin secured his arms around her waist and breathed into her nape. Her lips shivered and her brows drew in together in a saddened manner.