Part 19. Plan B

Manik walked into the house followed by the rest of FAB5 and Navya. All of them were deciding to change into comfortable clothes and gather in Cabir and Dhruv's room to chill later. However, Manik's Dad interrupted their conversation.
Mr. Malhotra - Manik, tumse kuch important baat karni hai. Let's have a drink together?
Manik - Okay Dad.
He turned to his friends.
Manik - Tum log chill karo. I'll join you guys in a bit.
Just then, he saw Nandini running up the stairs trying to pass on a bottle of water to a butler for Navya's room.
Manik - NANDINI! Slow down!
He yelled out at her.
Nandini - I'm fine Manik. Stop overreacting.
This girl was limping a few minutes ago and now she's running around and she's asking him to not overreact. The butler, who had gone to buy Nandini's medicines, came over to Manik handing him all the medicines.
Manik - Thank you. Dad, main half an hour mein aapse milta hoon. Nandini ko yeh medicines deni hai. Aur main bhi change karke aata hoon.
Mr. Malhotra once again noticed that Nandini was before everyone else, even him.
Mr. Malhotra - Theek hai. I'm waiting.

All of them retired to their rooms to change into comfortable clothes. Manik entered his room to see Nandini holding up her hair and looking for a hair band to tie her hair up. He loved Nandini's hair let down. Free and flying, just like her spirit. But Nandini had a habit to tie them up towards the end of the day. It was her way of telling herself that the day was over and she needed to tidy up everything that happened in the day and keep it away until the next day starts. A gesture which said she'd leave the outside world outside of her bedroom and have a peaceful night. She went to the dresser to look for some cotton and a make up remover but couldn't find it. He in the meanwhile left her heels near the dresser so she could place them wherever she wanted.
Nandini - Manik... where are all my things? Jo puraane dresser mein rakhe the?
Manik - It'll be with all the clothes only. In the closet.
Nandini went into the closet and found her makeup remover, her night face cream and a pair of pajamas to change into.
Manik, in the meanwhile, removed his tuxedo jacket, his waistcoat and untied the bow-tie. He removed the cufflinks and kept them back carefully into the box and stored them safely in the bedside table drawer before he lost them. He'd put them safely in the closet later when Nandini finished setting it up.
Nandini - Manik...
He was keeping his phone to charge when he heard her call.
Manik - Hmmm?
Nandini - Tum keh rahe the that your surprise is incomplete. But yeh Toh complete hai? Isme aur kya pending hai?
Manik - Tumhare study pe lights fix karna baaki hai. That electrician got the wrong lights or something. So he had to go and exchange it. And aaj, he had to focus on the event Toh reh gaya. He said he'll do it kal.
Nandini - Hmmm.
Nandini had finished removing her makeup and was now trying to unzip her dress and again, the zip was stuck.
Nandini - Unzip this na. Please. Phir se it's stuck.
Manik - Phir se?
Manik went to her and was trying to unzip her dress when he decided to tease her a little bit.
Manik - Looks like you've put on some weight. Zip is getting stuck and all. Ghar baithe baithe moti ho rahi ho.
He pulled onto her cheeks and was now expecting Nandini to blast at him any moment for this comment but what happened next completely surprised him.
Nandini - Maybe. Last few weeks I have eaten a lot more due to exam stress. Maybe I'll just cut down on sugar from tomorrow. And also start some form of workout.
Manik was so surprised about how she didn't make it a big deal about growing fat unlike every other girl he knew. But again, this was Nandini and she was different. Uniquely different.
Manik - Main mazaak kar raha tha. I was trying to pull your leg. You haven't put on any weight. Chill. You don't have to cut down on sugar and all. This zip is a little crooked beech mein. Isiliye it's getting stuck baar baar.
Nandini - No but your right. I've eaten too much junk recently. And forget being fat, it's important to be fit and healthy.
He finally managed to undo the zip and Nandini held her gown on her chest to prevent it from falling down. Manik pulled onto her head and kissed her temple and slightly whispered into her ear.
Manik - You're one of a kind. That's why I love you the most.
Nandini - I love you too. Now I'm going for a shower and then I'm going to have a good night's sleep and wake up super late tomorrow. No exams and no studying for sometime now.
Manik - Haan. Aur mujhe bhi holiday mil gaya for the 5 am coffees.
Nandini - 5 am coffee nahi but 10 am coffee tum hi banaoge. I've missed your coffees.
Manik - Of course madam. At your service. Anyway, jaldi shower lena, I need to give you your medicines and put that ointment on your foot before you sleep.
Nandini - 5 mins.
Nandini quickly went into the washroom for a shower while Manik was busy checking his phone to get the social media's reaction to their performance. Cabir had also put on a few pictures and a short clip of their performance online and he was checking all the comments there.
Now that the day was over, he was thinking about all that had happened today. It was a long day for sure. But a lot of things had happened today and the weirdest thing was his Dad turning up. He had not attended the annual Malhotra party in years. What had suddenly brought him to Mumbai after so long? He didn't even remember mentioning too many details about this launch to his dad assuming that he'd not be interested. And he didn't even expect him to. His parents had not been a part of his daily life, his ups or downs in the past and now he didn't even expect them to be a part of any in the future. For him, it was enough if only Nandini was there. She was his family, his world and his soul and he didn't need anyone anymore. Yes, FAB5 was also his family too. But Nandini was more than that. And she was the only one he needed to be beside him to share his achievements, his happiness, his moments of weakness and sadness and someone he'd want to come back home to. It didn't matter if anyone else was there or not. So why was his Dad here? What was even more suspicious was that he and Nyonika hadn't had a verbal spat today. Was there something happening which was beyond what was meeting the eye? Did Manik's dad really want to be a part of Manik's achievement or was it some other reason? The only way he'd find that out was when he spoke to him.

Reality Ever Afterजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें